White Deer in the Welsh Dee Valley

paul k

I have had a report from a friend that a "white red deer" was recently seen in the Welsh Dee valley somewhere between Corwen and Wrexham. I don't know what sex the deer was nor whether it was alone or in the company of others.

I'm trying to tie the circumstances and location down a little more as there is a lot of territory between the two places quoted.

I'm obviously of the opinion that the deer was more likely a fallow than a red as clearly white deer of any other species are extremely rare and reds are almost unknown within 30 miles of this area. What intrigues me more is that the Dee valley is not an area with too many deer in it at all. There are some fallow, roe and muntjac but all are fairly thin on the ground.

There are quite a few white fallow in the Denbighshire population about 20 miles to the north and this is obviously the most likely source.

Does anyone have any other ideas on this?

Thanks Pete,

I am slowly getting more information on these deer, they were reported by a famer as "red deer" and apparently present in a wood a mile from his farm. Don't know precisely where this is yet but I should in a day or two. The guy who told me is going to set a remote camera up in the area to try and get a shot of them.

Clearly, given that one is white, it is very doubtful that they are red but we'll wait and see.

Hi, just to say that there is a video called "Reds in the roar." Done by the warrener. There is an albeno "RED" on that. I think he is in West Country. I am sorry for being a litte stupid, but is albeno the same as white??

Hi Duncs,
No an albino and a white deer are different. Albinos have red eyes, white deer have the bog standard issue deer coloured eyes.
It was the Warrener who told me about the Dartmoor white Red Deer, its the same one as you mentioned. Although the herd has been throwing the ocassional white for generations apparently.

Picture of rare white Roe Doe. [Cumbria.]
Re-cycled pic. hence poor quality.

WhiteRoeDoeTargets003.jpg

Very pretty deer, I bet it can't wait for it to snow! :lol:

I've just come across an article in an old copy of 'Stalking Magazine' October 1997, page 25. A picture of three white Red Stags in a park in the Czech Republic. Beautiful beast, sorry I can't share the picture, its very blurred and in black and white.

Beowulf said:
Very pretty deer, I bet it can't wait for it to snow! :lol:

I've just come across an article in an old copy of 'Stalking Magazine' October 1997, page 25. A picture of three white Red Stags in a park in the Czech Republic. Beautiful beast, sorry I can't share the picture, its very blurred and in black and white.

There's a complete herd of white red deer in that park in the Czech Republic, Kenneth Whitehead documents them in his Encyclopaedia of Deer.

white deer in welsh dee valley

A short report from your Welsh reporter

This white deer has been spoted running down the middle of the the road between Corwen and Cynwyd week com 20th October 2007 at 05.00am.
The actual species is still under debate but it is deffinatly white and can jump as it cleared the hedge and headed for the river past the chapel just of the Cynwyd road.

Currently no does / hinds with it and as fallow are in the local area, over towards Ruthin so my money is on it being a fallow buck.

Hope it has more luck than the white red down south, anyway back to chasing the roe.

Re: white deer in welsh dee valley

monty the stalker said:
A short report from your Welsh reporter

This white deer has been spoted running down the middle of the the road between Corwen and Cynwyd week com 20th October 2007 at 05.00am.
The actual species is still under debate but it is deffinatly white and can jump as it cleared the hedge and headed for the river past the chapel just of the Cynwyd road.

Currently no does / hinds with it and as fallow are in the local area, over towards Ruthin so my money is on it being a fallow buck.

Hope it has more luck than the white red down south, anyway back to chasing the roe.

There are also a few fallow to the south of Bala and this animal might have come from there.

Being in the fallow rut it is quite likely to have been a fallow buck as there are a number of white animals in the Denbighshire herd although admittedly quite a bit further north.

A few fallow have been turning up outside their normal area this past few weeks, a lone buck was seen this week in a field on Chester side of the A525 just out of St. Asaph.

Back