Thread: Calling Roebucks....

Calling Roebucks....

I have heard it said that a rutting roebuck with his attention on his attendant doe is difficult to call. But not impossible.
    On many occasions in the past I have called rutting roebucks away from the object of their desire with a Buttolo call.
    The same happened again tonight. I managed to call a good mature buck away from the doe he was with.I got him to approach to within 40yds , jump the fence back into the forestry and get himself shot.
    I don't know whether there is a window of opportunity to enable this ??.. for instance I don't know whether the doe had already stood for him or she was not quite as ready as he was and therefore more able to be distracted??.
    I would be interested to know the experience of others on this subject. Its exciting stuff when it works!.

Well done with him. As you say it's not easy and it must that window: thus dependant on the mating history and/or where the doe is oestrus-wise. Having said that I failed 2 nights ago to call a buck off a doe he was chasing hard and she wasn't interesed and wouldn't stand, just kept galloping off.

I managed it once last season and I had seen the buck mount the doe a number of times the morning before so think perhaps he was 'done'' with that doe and moving on!

When I have had success with taking a buck away from a doe it has always been with the 'terror' doe call on the buttolo squeezed all the way down 2 or 3 three times and then 3 or 4 pheeps at the end. It is the most rewarding result in calling I agree.