geco ammo

pj1

I have used geco 105 grain .243 on fallow and roe and they worked on roe a treat. Just got my. 308 and had a fallow buck with it last week. It ran about 10 yards and dropped. (Geco 150 grain t mantel) The bullet went through a rib through the top of the heart and into the far shoulder. No exit wound.

Is it usual to not get an exit wound with these bullets. Found two small pieces of lead in top off heart. Will see what is in the shoulder when i joint it up at the weekend

Regards pj

Last edited:
that will be the 308 for you !

ive skinned loads and loads of red and fallow and have nearly 90% of the time found found the bullet under the skin on the other side .

dont worry about it just keep using them

atvb

lee

I use GECO 170gr roundnose softpoints in my .308 with good results at hinds, but generally I do get an exit wound. Not that I'm botherered, if the beast goes down.

Wasn't aware they made a 150gr .308 offering.

Have tried a few 170 grains. But only at paper. Makes my rifle kick a bit. Was just surprised not to get exit wound. It did a good job though

Oh well as my friend said at least i know the bullet stayed on the land i have permission to shoot. Lee you say thats 308 for you. I didnt realise that this isas common as you say with a 308 not that i mind but was taught that a good exit wound would leave a better blood trail to follow should the deer make it into cover

pji i use a .25-06 120gr Partition and .300 Win-Mag 150 -185gr Lapua Mega BOTH hard projectile if as i belive your Deer was front end slighly angled away from you i have many time's on Fallow an Red's had it stop in the oposite shoulder but have to say square on both cal's and projectiles have/will do BOTH shoulder's right through. I would HIGHLY recomend "150gr Lapua Mega" for your .308

Well as pointed out a lot will depend on angle.. I have a recovered 150grain bullet but this one came for a fallow pricket shot with a .303 using a hot load.. as yet I have not recovered a bullet using the .308. The 150 grn .303 one is a Hornady Spire Point. As yet I have never managed to get any decent grouping using a Partition bullet and they're too expensive to throw down range in extended load development.

pji i use a .25-06 120gr Partition and .300 Win-Mag 150 -185gr Lapua Mega BOTH hard projectile if as i belive your Deer was front end slighly angled away from you i have many time's on Fallow an Red's had it stop in the oposite shoulder but have to say square on both cal's and projectiles have/will do BOTH shoulder's right through. I would HIGHLY recomend "150gr Lapua Mega" for your .308

Thanks for info. I am pleased with the 308 as i have shot deer that have been quartering with my 243 and the bullets went all over the place. One doe i shot quartering away the bullet hit a rib went right angles and through the gut (not so impresive). But i always got an exit wound. I noticed in shooting times recently they tested a range of 243 ammo one of which was geco 105 grain t mantel. Retained bullet weight was 30 grains the lowest of all of them. Just an empty copper jacket from the photo. Just wondered if this was not so good ona big fallow

well i found the bullet when jointing up the deer today. had gone through ribs on both sides and was just inside the opposite shoulder before hitting the skin. think it would probablyhave gone right through but for the fat on the deer. was one and a half inch thick on top of hips. must have fed well somewhere along the line

View attachment 8552View attachment 8553

Back