Basic rifle handling

John, I know you wee talking about doing an intro to stalking course. Is rifle safety not included in that course.

BASC do a "Pre dsc level 1 day".

It covers...

"Rifle types and calibres...safety basic rifle...how a rifle works...basic shooting positions...shooting on the range."

It's a good course to do for the newcomer and a handy course certificate to have towards a first fac application.
You also get a chance to try the shooting positions you have to do do for level 1 + get some help with it.

fraser

Do you know if you get to try different calibres as well?
I am doing this course in October to put towards the FAC application.

it is alex but unfortunately it has been cancelled due to the weather. It has been rearranged for the 10 of Sept but I an keen to get started.

I did a BASC Firearms Awareness Training day at Pulborough a few years back before applying for FAC. It was a good day, spent half in the classroom (only six pupils) and then after lunch the afternoon on a range. There were two people speaking/demonstrating. One was a BASC person and the other a Surrey FEO.

My Late Dad told me everything i needed to know about guns & gun safety,Started off with air rifles,then .410, then single barrel 12 bore.You never forget.Its a shame that some youngsters never get the same chance to go onto the field and learn all about guns and safety.I think rifle handling courses are a good idea for the future of the sport.
Atb John.

Some months ago, we launched a Pre DSC 1/ Introduction to stalking course which thus far has been exceedingly well received. It covers Rifle handling, legalities, calibre selection and many more elements of the level 1 course itself as well range time including a walkthrough of the shooting test . I conduct it either one to one or in very small groups. Everyone of the candidates I have had through so far have gone on to pass their level 1 first time and many have been out on the ground with me since and taken their first animal.

Regards

HME
Welcome to Corinium Rifle Range
info@coriniumrange.com

I think rifle handling courses are a good idea for the future of the sport.
Atb John.

I really can't agree more John. My path to shooting was totally different to yours in that I have no family or friends who shoot but I was always a keen angler and always wanted to try shooting. However living in Northern Ireland this wasn't easy as even an air rifle requires a full FAC plus I have no land etc.

In recent years I decided that I was going to manage to take up shooting no matter what it required and over a period of maybe 5 or 6 years I've gone from having never held a rifle to now being lucky enough to get to shoot the occasional deer on my own. The first animal I ever shot was a red hind and the only animals I've ever shot have been deer and I do miss the chance to develop speed, technique and confidence that other people have got over years with vermin and rabbits and so on. I'm still a bit slow and deliberate due to my lack of experience.

If it were not from the local target club, courses by BASC and the help and encouragement of people I've met along the way there would have been just no way I could have done it. So, while I appreicate that the courses are no replacement for experience I also think they are a very good thing for the sport and for new people like myself some of whom might have wanted to shoot for years but because of money or circumstances just didn't get the chance.

Do you know if you get to try different calibres as well?
I am doing this course in October to put towards the FAC application.

They start you on a bolt action .22 rimfire and show the basic operation,safety considerations,gun handling,muzzle awareness etc. and talk about safe shots,backstops etc. It's excellent stuff for novices.

On the range you'll get to fire the .22 from different positions,sitting,kneeling etc. and once you are comfortable with that you'll move onto a fullbore probably deer legal calibre like .243 or 6.5 and do the dsc1 shooting test...with the advantage of tuition :D.
I think they try to avoid anything bigger than 6.5 at this stage as there's no need to introduce a beginner to being "recoil shy".

fraser

When I did the BASC basic course it was howling a gale, with winds gusting over 40MPH. They sensibly decided not to bother with the .22 and we started on .223 at 50 yards.

I managed to put three shots into the bull with two touching, having never held a firearm before (many years of air rifles though) and the instructor wondered why I was there! However, it all got a bit more down to earth as we went up through .243 to 30-06 and a few various interesting rifles such as a break-barrel single shot, a Winchester underlever and a stuzen of some sort or other.

They made it good fun, which in turn meant we learned something and it stayed sunk in. Nick Lane (BASC) and Stanton (Surrey police) were the two chaps as I recall.

They start you on a bolt action .22 rimfire and show the basic operation,safety considerations,gun handling,muzzle awareness etc. and talk about safe shots,backstops etc. It's excellent stuff for novices.

On the range you'll get to fire the .22 from different positions,sitting,kneeling etc. and once you are comfortable with that you'll move onto a fullbore probably deer legal calibre like .243 or 6.5 and do the dsc1 shooting test...with the advantage of tuition :D.
I think they try to avoid anything bigger than 6.5 at this stage as there's no need to introduce a beginner to being "recoil shy".

fraser

Now I'm looking forward to this. I am an experienced shotgun user, my Dad teaching me and getting me to fire my .410 at a sheet of tin and a water melon to drum home just what I was using :eek:

Have had a little experience with .22 rimfire, but this sounds just the job. Roll on October :D

My Late Dad told me everything i needed to know about guns & gun safety,Started off with air rifles,then .410, then single barrel 12 bore.You never forget.Its a shame that some youngsters never get the same chance to go onto the field and learn all about guns and safety.I think rifle handling courses are a good idea for the future of the sport.
Atb John.

Yes it was the same for me brought up with guns from an early age, but we must remember that a lot of people don't have the chances we had, so I am all in favour of courses that teach gun handling

One worrying trend I have seen in recent years is middle aged men whom have been successful in business taking up shooting with no back ground in shooting and no idea of etiquette, though this is to be seen more in game shooting than stalking.

BASC developed the Pre DSC Level 1 in response to an increasing number of novice shots taking their Level 1 and failing to meet the criteria for the practical elements of the assessment. Most DSC Level 1's of BASC's are accompanied by a separate Pre Level 1 either directly before or in the weeks leading upto the course.

Candidate numbers are kept to a minimum to allow good practical experience

However there is no substitute for good mentoring from an experienced stalker

I did a "Pre DSC 1" or "Rifle Awareness Course" before doing my DSC1.

It was well worth it and a really enjoyable day. I doubt I'd have passed DSC 1 without it as I had no experience of rifles beforehand. I did mine with Dave Stretton from Donnington Deer Management, but to the BASC sylabus. Dave is in the East Midlands if anyone from that area is looking for a suitable course.

I applied for a .22 RF and a 6.5 x 55 on my first FAC application and got both (plus a hill rifle) without question. I think the course contributed significantly to that outcome.

I'd highly recommend these courses for novices.

Cheers,

Bob

In today's culture of certs and general *rse covering regarding insurance claims etc, sadly fewer and fewer people will be willing to take out those for a first attempt at stalking. This is where courses such as the pre-DSC1 come into their own and why they will become more common I believe.

ATB,

Scrummy

Back