Its can of worms time.

tjwaines

As per the title, I'm in the market for a new jacket and trousers for stalking. Must be warm enough for winter, don't really mind about summer as I just wear thin gear atm.

For the last 5 years I've had a set of the Deerhunter jacket and trouser combo's, they've lasted well enough but were relatively pourous this last winter, so they've got to go !

Looking for a set for no more than £400, none camo. Must have a hood included and not an optional extra (like my Musto jacket)

Recommendations please lads and lasses.

Tom

Not sure what the cost is these days but the Nomad Stealth is excellent! Have a search on the forum, lots of threads!

If your deerhunter stuff has lasted well over the years why not get another set, ram jacket and pants are a good buy at the moment, the polar rusky bib and braces will keep you toastie in the winter also, and stop your back getting cold when sitting. Now of my deerhunter stuff has leaked yet. The outer fabric can hold water but its never got through, just my $0.02

Just bought a full set of Nomad UK Stealth Tweed - the Hooded Smock and Stalking Salopette. Been out in torrential rain this past few weeks with no leaks whatsoever. Quiet, comfortable, non-camo - ideal for my purposes.

I know they're out of your budget brand new, but they may come up second hand. As a wise friend of mine once said - "buy once, cry once". It applies to clothing as well as optics!

Good luck in your search :)

I've got Laksen Buffalo trousers and Laksen jacket, bought as a set last winter for £250, they seem very good so far.

I've just bought a pair of trousers from Country covers and am considering the jackets next. In your budget, got plenty of good reviews, apparently a 4 year no quibble warrenty.
I had a long chat with them because I wanted something that would put up with me crawling on my hands and knees and not let in water..............But enough about my sex life :D

Harkila pro hunter all the way best I have had . And yes I did get the jacket and trousers for under £400 :D

Totally agree with the Harkila pro hunter jacket and trousers. I got the jacket in a sale and was so impressed I got a pair of the trousers some weeks later from the same place.
My wife got me a second pair as this was the only way she could get them washed as I was wearing them so often.
I did not pay the RRP for any of them. Dealt with Highland Industrial supplies in Inverness who gave me a good discount.

Stay dry and stalk longer.

As has been said nomad stuff is top quality but by no means cheap. I spent a weeks wages on my smock but i think it was worth every penny I got it at well under the current RRP of 410 i think I payed nearer £270 about a year ago and nearly bought a matching pair of +4s on sale at the game fair for something like £140 but decided to think about it and they were gone when I went back :rolleyes: Like I say not cheap but wort it.

George

Try the Ridgeline range.Not tried the troosers but the jackets and smocks are spot on,and not too far out in the cash stakes.

What size are you? I have an unworn Nomad smock that I could sell you if your interested. I bought it and never wore it. Now it doesn't fit as I've lost weight. Ive got the same problem with a Harkilla leather jacket and a Deerhunter Kamchatka jacket. All as new.... gutted in a way, they cost a fortune. (i may start going to Mcdonalds again) :lol:

Try the Ridgeline range.Not tried the troosers but the jackets and smocks are spot on,and not too far out in the cash stakes.

Sako, I've got the trousers and they are well made and durable, but they are not very breatheable, if at all!

What size are you? I have an unworn Nomad smock that I could sell you if your interested. I bought it and never wore it. Now it doesn't fit as I've lost weight. Ive got the same problem with a Harkilla leather jacket and a Deerhunter Kamchatka jacket. All as new.... gutted in a way, they cost a fortune. (i may start going to Mcdonalds again) :lol:

Parastalker, being a larger than normal bloke (50"-52" chest) would these surplus garments fit me? I would love the Nomad smock!

Regards, Simon

The nomad smock is a very generous X large, just had the tape on it, it measures 27.5" across the chest when lay flat on the floor, I'm guessing that is good for 55" ?? where a bouts in Worcester are you? I'm in Stourbridge, so not a million miles away if you want to meet up and have a try on.

Back