Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lever Action rifles?

Lever Action rifles?

A question on said rifles, are they any good for UK Deer?

I ask because although right handed I have to shoot off the left shoulder (eyes) now I have looked a the price of a left hooker bolt action, on Guntrader 800 upwards Lever action 495 both .308

what sort of mag has the lever got?

Across the pond Winchester is very well respected with its Model 88. Being a lefty myself I had a long hard look whilst being there, but ended up with a Rem 700 VSF left-handed. And yes, that one is still there

Winchester 88's are a bit of a collectors gun but a Bowning BLR (detachable magazine fed) is a popular hunting rifle here in Montana. I have not owned a Browning. Savage Model 99's are fine rifles as well; in fact, they have a M/S style rotary magazine in some models. Detachable in others. ~Muir

I started deer hunting over 25 years ago with a Marlin 336 30-30 lever action, and though I have a safe full of guns in other calibers and actions, I still believe that a lever action 30-30 is truly all I really need.

Great photos, I take it thats a definite yes for the Lever action then

The Browning BLR and a couple of others have a box mag so they can use Spitzer rounds ( been reading Chuck Hawks site)

Brian, there is now a new round developed specially for lever actions with tube mag's, where the bullets are fitted with a soft tip so the bullet of one round can't ignite the primer of the one in front of it. I think they call it .308 Marlin Express????
    If you do a seach on the above mentioned rifles you'll see a lot of positive comments!
    Good luck, Rene.

I think its called Hornady Lever Revolution (or LEVERevolution)

Thanks for the correction mate, I wasn't sure

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)

Those are some fine looking deer. Out of interest, what scope is it that you have on your rifles? On one it looks like a Leupold and on the other a Zeiss?