Grouse

have heard of 1 day cancelled for fog and another moor where the numbers mean they are going for the record next week!!!

we were out today but weather turned bad & the fog came in

Yep. And i was out with this miserable old bugger:). Very very wet with fog closing in and poor visibility. Beating with Kev and probably lifted only 15 - 20 birds with 5 dropped. Shoot closed early with conditions deemed too dangerous to continue. Birds dropped were a little on the small side.

steve has alot of grouse at muggleswick should do it if weather is kind to them.

Good to see you still have grouse in Yorkshire think we will be struggling up here this year.
Usually make it down to Yorkshire but not this year, not shooting but loading usually Gunnerside, but have also been to Reith, Wimmergill, and Bolton Abbey

nice to hear the grouse doing well ,but 1000 brace!
if they have grouse shoot them while you have them. if they leave to many they crash in numbers .
people moan about a team shooting large numbers likethat saying its wrong but its ok for one man to go out decoying pigeon and shooting 2-3-0r 400 a day not a lot of diffreance. but at least the grouse are bringing alot of money in to the local economy un like joe blogs shooting pigeons.

Was out picking up on a small family moor, only managed 2 drives with the fog (unfortunately 1 first thing and 2nd never started to after 4.30, thank god they've put a new lunch hut up the hill) but still managed 50 brace, lot off birds and surprisinly big conveys for time off year. Owner said counts up 70% on last year. A long but enjoyable day

Well said ajfab. A lot off poeple dinae realise if u don't shoot the grouse hard enough and leave to many over the winter the moor cannot support them and they will starve and die and the surviors will be in poor condition for breeding. I know 1 off moor up north decided to cancell a few days last year after breaking records to leave a few extra for a bumper year this only for the very harsh winter to scupper his plans. They'll still shoot some good days but not wot he hoped. Thats the way off it with a totally wild bird thou.

if they have grouse shoot them while you have them. if they leave to many they crash in numbers

Aye, but on the second day of the season ! Got another 3 months to kill their numbers, why not have 10 x 100 brace days, or even 5 x 200 brace days? Surely those birds shot in September will be far stronger birds than those hitting teh heather today ?Sounds like they are just chasing records and I thought that died out with the Edwardians.

Aye, but on the second day of the season ! Got another 3 months to kill their numbers, why not have 10 x 100 brace days, or even 5 x 200 brace days? Surely those birds shot in September will be far stronger birds than those hitting teh heather today ?Sounds like they are just chasing records and I thought that died out with the Edwardians.

:thumb::thumb:

Doesn't work that way. As the others say shoot them while you can if you've got the numbers. Grouse are very quick to learn and pack up very quickly if they are driven regularly.

I've been out on Holwick, nexdoor with Wemmergill, and yesterday was the classic "Hurry up and wait". After waiting till 14:30 it finally cleared enough to get two drives in and managed about 170ish brace. Much better day today with 263 brace of the first 2 drives, another drive before lunch, then 245 brace of the next 2 followed by another good drive. I'd say they'll be heading up towards 700 brace for today! Mind you there was a good show of grouse and the team of guns was Goerge Digweed and co. Nuff said!!

I think the keepers know their job , numbers need reducing and if you knew the history of these moors and recent bag records from past years you would see this . There is no point in killing big numbers just for records , you would just be killing your breeding stock for the next season

Doesn't work that way. As the others say shoot them while you can if you've got the numbers. Grouse are very quick to learn and pack up very quickly if they are driven regularly.

I've been out on Holwick, nexdoor with Wemmergill, and yesterday was the classic "Hurry up and wait". After waiting till 14:30 it finally cleared enough to get two drives in and managed about 170ish brace. Much better day today with 263 brace of the first 2 drives, another drive before lunch, then 245 brace of the next 2 followed by another good drive. I'd say they'll be heading up towards 700 brace for today! Mind you there was a good show of grouse and the team of guns was Goerge Digweed and co. Nuff said!!
Andy Dent is like a walking history book isnt he and John Pink has a good team around him dont he

Back