Why I always take the dog

cockerdog

Last night was a pefect example of how a dog can be invaluable for deer stalking.

I found myself staling a young plantation on a hill side, the cover is high in places and the going slow constantly glassing every couple of steps.
I'd only covered about a hundred yards diagonally upwards when I became aware of Millie starting to take in deeper breaths which always makes me watch her, she was indicating directly up hill, yet I couldnt see anything for a good 15 minutes until a Roe doe popped her head up a hundred yards away and behind her a Fallow doe walked out of the trees.
Up on the sticks and wait, the Roe does buck wont be far, glance down at the dog, shes on a solid Cocker style point in their direction.
Then up stands the buck, old and going back he's the one im after but typically the doe is directly behind and I cant get the shot before they dissapear.
I would have never seen them if not for the dog.

Wait 15 minutes for them to make there way off then continue the stalk, 200 yards on and again Millie starts indicating, constant glassing shows nothing and eventually we move on and 50 yards on I spy the rump of a Roe, wait it out and gradually a yearling buck shows his head, he will be a keeper for the moment.
Yet again the dog is making me more alert.

Finish the evening by taking a high seat, an hour passes and light is starting to fail when I hear movement to the left, cant spy anything but its close in the young pines only 60 yards off.
Glance at Millie sat at the base of the seat, she's very calm yet its obvious she is aware of deer in the pines.
Out pops a doe closely followed by a buck, the original one I was after.
Wait for the doe to clear then the shot is taken, and off he runs straight into waist high grass in the direction on a thick plantation.
I knew the shot was good and wasnt worried that he ran, only that the light was failing very fast due to large rain clouds moving in.
Wait for the buck to stiffen then take the dog to the shot point and even in the failing light paint is clearly visible showing a good strike.
She's given the command to find and I let her do the job, the buck only ran maybe 80 yards but with the cover let alone the failing light I would have struggled, but she led me right to him.

Job done and larder time before a glass of wine and a happy bloke whos very happy with his little stalking companion.

Hi Mate
Thats a great account of your evening :D. Nice step by step account of Millies actions too, good on her :thumb:. Only one thing missing though, lets have some pictures of the buck :D
ATB
Gaz

cockerdog good write up I allways take my gwp with me id feel lost without her now
I think it gives you a bit of insurance and settles you more when taking the shot
especially when in and around thick cover .
regards pete .

Back