An effective bait for pigs

Dan Gliballs

They have landed here, found the first signs of them on Monday.

Ive used some larder waste to bait up a couple of cameras as it was all that was at hand. Im thinking some maize might be better?

The bodies of their own dead worked in Australia when i was working the cattle stations, they came in from miles around. If you got one in the morning, you'd leave it to blow up during the day, go back late afternoon and pierce the gut then sit up near by with an old .303 and a lamp and wait for the grunts. That's NOT a suggestion by the way!

We get best results with whole maize, we use Solwayfeeders autofeeder as well as burying a handfull in the ground in various places around the location that keeps them amused for ages.You don't need aniseed they can smell it no problem. BUT don't do it where you want any damage ;)

Good luck

Wayne

Photo0008.jpg

Maize works well for me aswell , one thing to keep in mind Dan is not to shoot any to soon ,
best to keep em feeding for a while at any one place ,make them think it is a safe place, then they should come back
after you have a shot (dont shoot the big sow)

Also if you have a cake shop near to you get the out of date stuff, they will eat anything. Leave the big sow pick the ones you take carefully and you should have a supply of wild boar meat.

Im not really sure if we want them here or if we will ever see this one again. It looks like it may be just the single boar that has been seen in the neighbouring glen and moved in this way. 1 pig in 25,000 acres is like a needle in a haystack.

pig bait

Judging by your tag line you also have the bushwear t shirt !

Any cereals will do well or old tatties or fruit - boar are very greedy. I have had three trips to poland and the forest staff were feeding a lot of cabbage and potatoes to hold pigs. I am a forester and welcome the boar as they have abeneficial effect on the forest - especially for tree regen

hope you get your piggy

hwyl, eddyslimfast

Judging by your tag line you also have the bushwear t shirt !

Any cereals will do well or old tatties or fruit - boar are very greedy. I have had three trips to poland and the forest staff were feeding a lot of cabbage and potatoes to hold pigs. I am a forester and welcome the boar as they have abeneficial effect on the forest - especially for tree regen

hope you get your piggy

hwyl, eddyslimfast
Thats was my line, bushwear stole it from me :D

As for the pigs, so far with offal Ive managed to capture Polish mushroom pickers, dog walkers with unruly dogs, hoodie crows, and buzzards.

Back