First Chamois hunt

Today I did my first chamois hunt and I am bloody knackered!!

We got to the high seat at about 6pm. Spied the first chamois about 30 mins after. He briefly popped out in the open, my guide said wait he will come out further, he turned around and vanished never to be seen again. An hour later we spy 3 more across the valley. Ranged them at 700 meters. Time to get mobile. We stalked in to the last known location only to find they had moved and there was no shot.

Back up the mountain we go. About 20 mins before last shooting lit the buggers only went and moved up the valley again. Off we went like a brace of mountain goats. We got in to position about 10mins before the light went totally. We could only see one by this point and he was happily grazing away from up. I sat behind the rifle till we could not see him anymore waiting for him to turn broadside but alas it was not to be.

Back up the mountain we went to the car. I am pretty happy we don't have that terrain in Hampshire :lol: Off to bed. I will update on how we get on tomorrow.

St Wolfsgang in Austria.

Sadly nothing of the correct age showed itself the next day and I would rather not shoot a Yearling. So I am off back out there in November for the Rut.

nice one i did my first this year in nz the terrain is hard going but very worthwhile i found my first chamois with an hour of light to go he was 500mtrs away on the side of a glasier i was on the low bank of a river bed i had a 200 mtr climb through trees before the steep climb up the glasier i ended up leaving as much gear behind as i could enough ammo head torch and radio along with the rifle of course i managed to shoot it but the light was fading fast to get back to camp so i started the decent home . i went back the following morning only to spot two more exactly where my first had fallen so we went after those as well and managed to get both of those well chuffedl .lovely looking animals capes are getting done in nz now. can i ask is it expensive to hunt in austria . hope you manage next time ,atb wayne

The capes should be much better in November for a mount! Lucky you, a dream hunt of mine.

Better luck next time mate, I'm getting fit for a Chamois hunt with an aim to do it next year!

ATB,

Mike

can i ask is it expensive to hunt in austria . hope you manage next time ,atb wayne

You can ask but I am afraid I cant really help, I went to visit a friend who has a shoot out there and I asked him if I could go for one and he said yes. His father was so upset I did not shoot one he invited me back for the rut. So I have been very lucky.

Sws, not sure how many more dead things I can have in my flat in London, I already have stuff out on loan so unless it is a fantastic one I think I will just do a skull mount. At least I will get a Gamsbart off it.

no worries nz would have been well out of my reach with trophy fees but that was an invite from a friend with no fees other than fuel for chopper to get us in hope you manage a nice one on your return atb wayne.
You can ask but I am afraid I cant really help, I went to visit a friend who has a shoot out there and I asked him if I could go for one and he said yes. His father was so upset I did not shoot one he invited me back for the rut. So I have been very lucky.

Sws, not sure how many more dead things I can have in my flat in London, I already have stuff out on loan so unless it is a fantastic one I think I will just do a skull mount. At least I will get a Gamsbart off it.

deformedantlers034.jpg

I shot the female above at the Austrian Tyrol in 1968 .
It had no offspring and was classed as a cull beast.
Fortunately I was used to mountain stalking so it was not a shock to my system.

HWH.

deformedantlers034.jpg

I shot the female above at the Austrian Tyrol in 1968 .
It had no offspring and was classed as a cull beast.
Fortunately I was used to mountain stalking so it was not a shock to my system.

HWH.

7 Years old? Hard to tell from the photo.

I was going for 9, but its difficult to count the rings.
I'm hopefully going next year for one.

I was going for 9, but its difficult to count the rings.
I'm hopefully going next year for one.[/QUOTE ]

It does appear to have 8 or 9 rings but they are very faint, unlike those on Scottish billys.
However it was my first and only ever.
A day to remember always, shot at about 200yds with my Merkel O/U double rifle in 7X65R calibre using the 11.2 gramm [173 grain.] RWS round-nosed bullet. Not my choice of bullet for that distance but the rifle was regulated as a double with that combination and I had previously zeroed it for such a distance at home.

HWH.

My First Chamois

12.Aug11_-3(2).jpg
Just come back from the very south of Germany/Swiss border area, after pigs, no Boar but I did bag this little beauty, cull female no offspring about 3-4 years 45 degrees downhill 120m, Blaser drilling, 7mm x 65R, 20 bore. Got a nice Roe Buck as well the following day.
Beautiful part of the world and lots of game. Friendly people, fantastic climate,
FlyBoy270

Last edited:
Back