one gun

rem708cdl

hello guys
i am cosidering cutting back on guns becausei spend to much time reloading for three different centerfires ie load testing i would keep 243 for deer and fox duty but i would like a more expencive rifle any advice mybe sauer rpa or blaser any advice would be greatly received
thanks colin

One gun only & if it goes wrong you have no gun. So get soething to overlap with your 243. As for make, you won't go wrong with Sako or Sauer for conventional bolt action or Blaser if you like over complicated fine engineering. 30-06 is as good a big round as it gets for all round versatility.

Ian

Last edited:
The top off the shelf makes out there really are Blaser or Sauer. Calibre? I'd pick one of the 6.5/.264...probably .260 Rem. or 6.5x55 Cheers, :old:

Hmmmm now how many have actually had a rifle break down?

Not many i'll bet :D

Now as to the one rifle firstly you'll need to make up your mind what you want as to style and type of action. Some like the tacticool and drastic plastic look. Others something milder and others traditional wood and blacked steel. I can see you having much fun with this journey..................... it will interesting to see how it turns out and what you decide upon and what you end up with as they might not be the same.

Brit
Have you honestly never heard of a Remmy loosing it's bolt handle or an extractor spring breaking, or cr*p clogging a firing pin, or scope or mounts mounts falling apart?? Usually happens to newbies who are still learning or naturally lazy people in by brief experience (40 years). Or as happened to me just recently when one of my very trusted Pecar scopes developed a delamination or cracking of the eyepiece lens rendering it & my rifle "broken down" till I got another scope bought & zeroed.

Ian

A 308 or 30/06 is a great companion to a 243 for UK and Ireland.

Regarding makes, Sauer, Sako or Blaser.

I have an uber tasty Blaser in 30/06 that I might part with if someone wanted to pay enough dosh....

009.jpg

hello guys
i am cosidering cutting back on guns becausei spend to much time reloading for three different centerfires ie load testing i would keep 243 for deer and fox duty but i would like a more expencive rifle any advice mybe sauer rpa or blaser any advice would be greatly received
thanks colin

Colin

It's an interesting challenge. I jointly hold 3 centrefires and that has worked quite well. It has handled significant periods where rifles have been restocked, rebarrelled, threaded, wandered the country looking for someone to mount a scope on it, etc.

The challenge will be reducing from 3 semi-custom rifles to 2 when my Dad stops stalking. Although a lot of money has been spent on them, they aren't worth selling. I am using the .243 for all my stalking at the moment, and to avoid spending time on developing a 100gr load, I bought a box of 100gr Remington Core Lokt yesterday. On testing it this morning, the two shots I fired at 100 yds touched. My one suggestion, would be to use factory ammunition for the rifle that is either used least, or has most factory ammo available. The poor rifle purchasing decisions that I made in the '90's will haunt the rest of my stalking career.

Good luck. JCS

JCS makes a good point ref factory ammo. I use the 30/06 only rarely, and I have found that it does .6-.7 with Privi Partisan 180gr's. This is more than good enough for my purposes, and at £11.50 per box, there is no point in even trying to reload for it.

Being a bit of a softy I'd never buy a pretty or expensive gun because I'd be scared to scratch it. Baring that in mind if it's a tool to do you a service then Tikka t3 in stainless synthetic is perfection for me anyway.

I just got a Mauser M03 in 30.06 which I am verry happy with. If you are after top quality (same league if not better than the Blaser), traditional and a rifle (but still switch barrel) that is not common then you wont go far wrong. Have a gander at this.

Dave

'I have an uber tasty Blaser in 30/06 that I might part with if someone wanted to pay enough dosh....'

Nice rifle CD but that roesack looks way under used/new to me!
Anyway, is it legal to reload ammo. in NI? I know it's not legal in the south. Cheers :stir:

Brit
Have you honestly never heard of a Remmy loosing it's bolt handle or an extractor spring breaking, or cr*p clogging a firing pin, or scope or mounts mounts falling apart?? Usually happens to newbies who are still learning or naturally lazy people in by brief experience (40 years). Or as happened to me just recently when one of my very trusted Pecar scopes developed a delamination or cracking of the eyepiece lens rendering it & my rifle "broken down" till I got another scope bought & zeroed.

Ian

Huh ........................ thought we were talking about quality rifles? so Remington's modern offering never entered my thoughts. I had one problem in Yorkshire at John's on the Roe with a sporterised Swedish Mauser which was covered here and still cannot make it happen again. Due it having the original Mauser flag safety which cannot be fully engaged due to the scope somehow having it engaged as far as possible and carrying it seems to have hung up the striker bolt tail so there was not pressure on the sear. The plan was to replace the trigger and safety with a commercial after market one but other projects were more urgent at the time so it got pushed back. After all it wa snot as if I needed just that rifle as I had others to use.

I brought the rifle newly sporterised (US Commercial jobbie) in march 94 for teh grand sum of £170 with a set of Hilver bases and r1" rings and then in 96 had the bolt handle replaced to a more sporting pattern by Norman Clark. In January 96 on Bisley's Running Deer range whilst shooting the stalkers comp a faulty over pressure factory PMC round blew the primer and expanded he pocket and in doing so snapped the firing pin/striker so that the rear portion of the bolt came back and hit and dented my glasses frame. The riflew as taken to Fultons for inspection and report and repair. They fitted a new pin/striker but I am sad to say their workmanship was not up to the standards oen would except and a couple of years later after a very wet stalk I discovered that the firing pin nut must have been twisted into position with pliers or grips.. half and hour with a needle file cleaning up the notches and deburring the pin had it fitting properly.

So we do not know if my stoning the firing pin nut to clean up the trigger pull, reducing the sear coil spring to reduce the pull weight or the mis-match of part by Fultons caused the issue but we feel that a new commercial trigger with safety is probably the best option. O do have a Dayton Traister Mk11 safety but have never gotten around to cutting the bolt shroud for it.

So that's 14 trouble free years after the repair and if that PMC round had not caused damage I doubt the problem would have arisen when it did that is the only problem that I have personally encountered and just another reason to prefer handloads.

To complement a .243 working rifle, I would have a bespoke .270 or .30-06 built on a Hagn falling block action.

A bit like this one :cool:

southin-singleshot.jpg

Last edited:
'I have an uber tasty Blaser in 30/06 that I might part with if someone wanted to pay enough dosh....'

Nice rifle CD but that roesack looks way under used/new to me!
Anyway, is it legal to reload ammo. in NI? I know it's not legal in the south. Cheers :stir:

It is perfectly legal to reload here.

The Roesack was just new when that photo was taken last year, it is not so clean now!

To complement a .243 working rifle, I would have a bespoke .270 or .30-06 built on a Hagn falling block action.

A bit like this one :cool:

southin-singleshot.jpg
Nope, falling block doesn't do it for me. Not really elegant at all & not in the same league as a Blaser K95. Cheers, :old:

If you buy a top quality factory rifle in a common chambering then the positive thing is that you will always be able to sell it again and, in fact, if you buy well you might make a profit on the deal. If you have the cash to do this up front then the cost of such a rifle over its life can be minimal and you get to play with top notch quality in the process.

Brian's (Claret_Dabbler) Blaser is certainly one of the best bits of wood I've seen and without question it would be a great rifle plus the 30-06 would go well with your 243. I don't imagine it would be inexpensive but it might be well worth looking into and if you have the cash then I'd be fairly certain that over 5 or 10 years you wouldn't lose any money on it and you'd get a lot of pleasure from it. In fact I'm willing to bet that when you take it out in company someone in the group offers to buy it. There is no doubt that Blaser isn't for everyone but as a practical tool that just does the job without fuss it is hard to beat but I would suggest that you handle one before you buy, just to be sure it is for you.

The Sauer is also a really nice rifle (I own a Blaser) and my feeling is that the choice between it and Blaser is just a matter of preference and, again, you need to give it a try and see how it suits you. With the Sauer I think it likely that you would get most of your money back if you buy well but you will search long and hard before you will find as nice a rifle as the one Brian has.

(I'm not acting as an agent for Brian but do remember looking at the pictures of the Blaser when he bought it and being very impressed indeed. It wouldn't suit me as I like my plastic rifle and it does get the occasional ding and is wet a lot plus I just couldn't afford it. However, if I had the cash I'd be making Brian an offer!)

Sauer 7x64 in a nice stock. Good for c.w.d through to plains game. Legal in France for piggies and not too off the beaten track for ammo to be a problem. And since you already home load you are laughing. Recoil easily managed. Respected at home and abroad. The phrase 'beware the man with one gun' could have been written for this round and rifle combination. Stick on a Swarovski Z6i and you are good to go.

Back