Buying kit

tika.308

Just a thought i had the other day, we have just got back from 2 weeks away down in devon. whilst down there i called into the sportsman gun shop near exeter as i was after 7 pairs of binos for work, now i had a budget of £100 for each set and as we all know you dont get much for that kind of money. so in i went and explained to the assistant what i was after, at first there wasnt nothing at all upto the job, when i told him i wanted 7 sets he said he would do me a deal on some minox 8x42 or 10x42 in orange camo :eek: now at first bright orange camo were not what i was thinking but they had them on offer from £299 down to £199 and he said he would do them at £100 a set :cool: so happy days. so my idea was if members on here were after buying something new why not put something on here to see how many others were thinking of the same item and then buy in bulk. :idea: im not saying go to the same shop as i went to, and i have no connection to the shop at all, but i have had a couple of deals off them now and can not knock them at all.

Good post but it does make you wonder how much they were making on a pair if they can reduce the price down from £299 to £100.

its a real good idea but who would have to pay out first and then get the money off other members and why do you need that many binos i canyt get work to buy me 1 pair as mine dont even focus anymore lol

webby, thats where it comes down to the ones interested in buying something to sort out, and who you can and cant trust, most members know other members on here. and not all 7 pairs are for me :lol: only one and the others are for other guys at work. and mudman it does make you think just a bit, and if you dont ask you dont get.

Just a thought i had the other day, we have just got back from 2 weeks away down in devon. whilst down there i called into the sportsman gun shop near exeter as i was after 7 pairs of binos for work, now i had a budget of £100 for each set and as we all know you dont get much for that kind of money. so in i went and explained to the assistant what i was after, at first there wasnt nothing at all upto the job, when i told him i wanted 7 sets he said he would do me a deal on some minox 8x42 or 10x42 in orange camo :eek: now at first bright orange camo were not what i was thinking but they had them on offer from £299 down to £199 and he said he would do them at £100 a set :cool: so happy days. so my idea was if members on here were after buying something new why not put something on here to see how many others were thinking of the same item and then buy in bulk. :idea: im not saying go to the same shop as i went to, and i have no connection to the shop at all, but i have had a couple of deals off them now and can not knock them at all.

As they say a good horse is never a bad colour.

Good post but it does make you wonder how much they were making on a pair if they can reduce the price down from £299 to £100.
From what I know of sportsmans Gary would have bought a job lot and being rt orange at a good price. £299 would have been the original retail price, some shops never drop there prices by much, sportsmans policy has always been to make the sale, as a sale is a sale, it costs the same to have a man in the shop selling nothing as it does to have a man willing to make a deal. As much as some folks slag them off they have had a big influence on the pricing of shooting goods in the uk.

From what I know of sportsmans Gary would have bought a job lot and being rt orange at a good price. £299 would have been the original retail price, some shops never drop there prices by much, sportsmans policy has always been to make the sale, as a sale is a sale, it costs the same to have a man in the shop selling nothing as it does to have a man willing to make a deal. As much as some folks slag them off they have had a big influence on the pricing of shooting goods in the uk.

I have also visited the shop. When I was there the shelves were stacked high with the orange ones and the black ones had sold out.

I would imagine they were given a good price based on an order for say, 200 black and 200 orange. The black flew off the shelves at that price and the orange understandably are not selling as fast.

I was also tempted to get a pair of orange and as my brother sprays cars for a living I am sure he would have been able to do something.

Did you like the optical quality, which ones did you go for the 8x42 or 10x42?

Cheers

Ross

Back