Deer Hoist for Fallow

The Singing Stalker

I am possibly going to get some Fallow stalking this year. I will have to make a hoist to gralloch. How high is the hoist going to have to be to keep the deer clear of the ground?

Depends how tall you are . I hang a gambrel/hook combo off a ton strap off the roofrack of my navarra . Works fine . Without measuring I would guess 6 ft.

Atb Steve

I am possibly going to get some Fallow stalking this year. I will have to make a hoist to gralloch. How high is the hoist going to have to be to keep the deer clear of the ground?

if you can weld or have someone that can i have made two one thats on the back of my Quad and one that i use with a deer carrier i made for my truck ( if you search this site i have pics) If you can find a old Light Rigger System the pole slide Get some 50mm box and ball hitch atachment adapt the Light Rigger to suit weld a sqaure foot plate to bottom of your Sliding pole weld box with fitted Ball hitch to the pole So get pole from truck onto ball hitch extend pole to suit oh sorry you need a hook welded to top of pole fit a pully to hook
Gambrel on pully job done. if you want to buzz me to explain better pm me and i will do my best to help. It is was very easy for me as ive been a Fitter/welder for most of my life. Right parts and equiptment 45min job done. :thumb: if you was not so far away id do it for you no probs

throw a rope over a branch tie a gambrel on one end tie the other end to ya towing eye and back up

Hi Trouble thanks for the info. I will cut a sunroof into the car and start growing a tree now. :D. Whilst there are trees on some areas where the fallow are is not suitable. hedges and the occasional tree you cant get to, unless you have a very tall ladder. I like to be self sufficient.

Stalkerboy, I served my apprenticeship as a fitter welder but then went and got edumicated and joined the sitting on my arse brigade in the office. I can make things but a lot slower as well out of practice. I have had a look at both your systems. There are parts I like. Your rack and hoist looks like a hefty beast. I am starting to wonder if I should make something like that. Might be a bit overkill for me. Unlike you, I think if I get to shoot 1/2 a dozen deer a year I will be doing well. You have some nice ideas I will have to have a look at my towbar and have a chew over it. I would ideally like something I can disassemble flat. Just had a thought. If I weld a bit of box or clamp it to the side of the towbar I could just insert a bar which would fold up and sit in a bag in the truck.

I think I see the beginnings of an idea here......... Cheers for that.

Hi Trouble thanks for the info. I will cut a sunroof into the car and start growing a tree now. :D. Whilst there are trees on some areas where the fallow are is not suitable. hedges and the occasional tree you cant get to, unless you have a very tall ladder. I like to be self sufficient.

Stalkerboy, I served my apprenticeship as a fitter welder but then went and got edumicated and joined the sitting on my arse brigade in the office. I can make things but a lot slower as well out of practice. I have had a look at both your systems. There are parts I like. Your rack and hoist looks like a hefty beast. I am starting to wonder if I should make something like that. Might be a bit overkill for me. Unlike you, I think if I get to shoot 1/2 a dozen deer a year I will be doing well. You have some nice ideas I will have to have a look at my towbar and have a chew over it. I would ideally like something I can disassemble flat. Just had a thought. If I weld a bit of box or clamp it to the side of the towbar I could just insert a bar which would fold up and sit in a bag in the truck.

I think I see the beginnings of an idea here......... Cheers for that.

no worrys mate. the idea i was thinking for you would slide together and be 4ft approx ?????? the pole sytem i use for my truck lays in the back of my truck behind the seat. As i said shame we are not closer cause if you could see what i mean and have done its so easy and light yet will handle Red's Good luck the offer is there if you want a chat or help :thumb:

Your not that far in the grand scheme of things. I have ridden my bike farther for a beer. Tend to do it less these days as it knackers up the weekend for shooting.
Went up to Caernafon last weekend for a beer. That was about 560 miles round trip. The joys of a 30 year old bike. Including breaking down twice and breaking the speedo cable. Well since we got it rebuilt 3 years ago the missus (Its her bike) hasn't done many miles at all so it needed a good shakedown. So after the connector for the coil coming loose (2 cylinders and only 1 working does wonders for preformance, gunk in one of the tanks blocking up the balancer, the vacumn pipe coming off and oh breaking the speedo cable it was an enjoyable trip. Well she will insist on keeping a 30 year old bike. But it does look nice. I digess somewhat.
I am going with 50mm box with 4mm wall for the upright, about 4 foot with a 3 foot 40mm box 4 mm wall. That will slide inside nicely. Top of the 40mm I will weld 2 brackets and fit a bar the will swivel. Ah bugger, here is a rough picture. Deer Hoist.pngNow all I need to do if figure out how to clamp it to the towbar that is easy to get on and off. If I use The ball hitch it will move, but if I weld a bit of 50mm box that might mean I can slide it on and off. Then as you say I can store it in the truck in a bag out of the way. The tow bar is pretty hefty.
Tomorrows job.

So for my list of things tomorrow, get this;
figure out how to clamp the hoist to the truck.
Redesign an extending butt for my tikka. Needs it for the NV addon.
Find out how to get products approved by the waterboard. Anybody got any contact for testing at the waterboard?
Think of all the answers to the questions I will be asked on Friday (Interview)
Chase the nice FEO to get some land cleared so I can remove the Foxes that a small holder is having nearby. They have been getting through Harris fencing. Couldn't believe it. Thought it must have been mink, until he managed to catch them on video.
Not even going to think about stripping her bike down, again, until next week.

Aside from that, continue to try to find land local to me so I don't have to travel 40 miles to do some shooting.
And get some sleep, was going to have an early night tonight. Damn

But hey, keeps me out of the pub...........

Think I might have digressed slightly there. :D

IMG-20110919-00008.jpgIMG-20110908-00001.jpg Not yet finished. As you can see with the second picture the unit folds up. The first picture shows it, um, well, I think I could skin a giraffe with it. I am going to measure it but I think I can cut the top arm back to the 45 degree support arm. That would reduce the length by 1/2 meter and reduce the stress on the weld by about 1/3, I think we worked out. By we, I asked our resident smart arse engineer to calculate the stress. The pin that holds the 45 degree suppoet will also have a Dynamo eyebolt and I will hang my gambel from there. More pictures in a couple of days. but I am happy with the result so far.

Never been but is it the Blue Oyster bar ??

Nice contraption but are you shooting on a road or park deer ? I grallock mine on the deck to lighten the amount of weight i have to drag to get the beast to the nearest fire road.

The land I have shooting has good access but not many deer. Saw a nice roe buck Sunday mind, about 50 yards away, but it was 9pm and I was looking through the NV as we were out foxing. He bounced his way past us.
Some of the land I might have access if I'm really lucky also has good access.

And I made it cos, well,,,,,, cos I can.

I have made some changes to it already. I have shortened to sticking out by about 600 mill and drilled a few holes so that the vertical bar can be raised and lowered depending on the deer. Few more mods to do probably next week and a box to shove it in. It is all designed so it can be assembled in about 1 minute and stored in the back of the truck. When I'm happy with the design then I will get it all sprayed pretty and may then end up never using it. But hey, it is a bit of fun.
Now if anybody would like me to try it on a Fallow I can travel :D

Check out the one Dave Stretton makes sure if your a welder you can make something similar and least you have an idea of size.

I did and I can. But many years ago David made a smart arse comment about my lack of speed for making something. I think it was a bike rack..... It looked bloody awful. The bike rack, not his comment...............
He was completely right as well (Dammit)cos he is a very good engineer and I am an office boy playing bodgeit. :D
I didn't like his setup, clip to tow bar and then legs out. But his can be used by any car with a towbar. Mine, you need to weld a bracket on to the towbar. And as I have a large chuncky towbar I thought why not. Swan necks are out and not everybody wants to or can do welding to their towbar, so I think his is a great idea.
And his will probably still be working many years after mine has had weld failure or something equally catastrophic. And to be fair if mine sees 1/2 dozen deer a year I will be well surprised...............Actually if I see 1/2 dozen deer of the right sex at the right season at the right time of day so I can actually shoot them I will be bloody surprised..............:lol:

I was just offering to demonstrate it to people cos I've never shot a Fallow and somebody might like to see it work and what a wondrous invention it is.........and let me shoot a Fallow.:D I live by my signature........see below.

Back