22/250 Bullet depth

just

Hi, at what depth should i seat the bullet in the neck of a 22/250 case, with a 50g v-max !? Thank's..

bullet seat

Hi, at what depth should i seat the bullet in the neck of a 22/250 case, with a 50g v-max !? Thank's..
Every chamber is different you will need to use a seating depth tool.This will tell you at what depth the rifling starts and then back off from that.Iwould recommend aSinclair seating depth tool.Dont forget to measure every different bullet because that will change O.A.L.best of luck.:lol::lol::lol:

Is this for hunting or for shooting world record attempts on paper?

If for hunting (hence post on a stalking website?) then I would suggest you load 50 rounds all at maximum OAL that your chamber will allow (If you want to know a quick & cheap way to find that then PM me), all with the same powder charge and allowing for a minimum of .224 (100% diameter) of bullet in the case.

Then take all 50 loaded rounds plus press and seater die to wherever you zero (like a range) and fire off 3 shot groups - but allowing the barrel to cool between shots. Keep squeezing in at 5 thou intervals until you find the best group - and don't give up. My Remington 22-250 shoots v-max best at -150thou off the lands and a previous Ruger VT 22-250 I had was best at -137. I do know one guy seating at -220 so, again, don't give up at -30 / 40 / 50.

Once you have best length then go back to reload and tweak the powder load in .3gr increments until you have the best round for your rifle.

It all sounds a real faff but it is worth it and other people will do it differently.

if you havent the tool to check buy one its worth the investment. if not i would start at factory mag length and go from there

Just,

You haven't said which make and model of .22-250 you've got, so you've got general replies.

If you can be more specific, someone on here will help I'm sure.

Just,

You haven't said which make and model of .22-250 you've got, so you've got general replies.

If you can be more specific, someone on here will help I'm sure.

Even same manufacturer, same model, same calibre rifles will each have differing preferred OAL's.

Agreed. And to suggest, say ".010" off of the lands" is a laugh. Most reloading presses using hunting grade bullets have +/- .006" seating depth variation, anyhow. My usual advice for hunting rounds ("Oh Christ! Here he goes again!") is to start at magazine length and work inward in small increments until you reach "minimum OAL" listed in the better reloading manuals. To do this without driving you crazy dealing with the variances in lengths you get with your bullet and reloading gear, measure ONE loaded cartridge only and seat the bullet deeper based on THAT measurement alone, no matter what it is. Don't measure them all! You'll make yourself crazy. You're just trying for an average here.~Muir

Back