Dried blood

Paul 600

Just got a few KG of the food grade stuff. How much do you add to water to make a good consistency? Don't fancy making black pudding mix first off as I'd rather eat it myself! It didn't come with instructions as I got it from a bait shop.

Sorry deer man never used the stuff, so cant help but would be interested to know what sort of dryed blood, cow, pig,deer or a mix? Dont spose it maters its a trail.

Tony.

If I remember I think it just said mammal blood food grade so no additives of flavourings. I will have a look and vet back to you.

deer man, I have used dried blood obtained from a garden supply merchant, turns out it was chicken blood but worked quite well as a laid trail. GSP could folow no problem.

Consistency was very watery when mixed & settled out very quickly once stood for a day or so but resultant liquid smelt very strong all the same.

Originally used as an organic fertilizer, a source of nitrogen.

Chris

Just made some up. 1x 5ml spoon full of powder and 20x 5ml water. Seems ok and makes up to a good consistency. It does say mammal blood. I will try it out later.

hi deer man,
i attended a dogs for deer course earlier this year and the guys running it said only to use deer blood and not to salt it either, but one thing they were adamant about was that it was more the hoof scent that the dog has to follow and the blood is secondary as with some shots theres not alot of blood to follow.
all the best
jimmy

hi deer man,
i attended a dogs for deer course earlier this year and the guys running it said only to use deer blood and not to salt it either, but one thing they were adamant about was that it was more the hoof scent that the dog has to follow and the blood is secondary as with some shots theres not alot of blood to follow.
all the best
jimmy

Jimmy,

You made my day.
A pupil who not only listen to what we say but even believes it.
The aim of training is to copy reality. Therefor stay as close as you can to the real situation. Deer blood, hooves from the same animal and ideally a piece of skin of same at the end.
You will find that switching over to real live tracking than is almost effortless.

Hi Deer man, I think the point that is being made its best to use deer blood and hoofs, skin from the same animal as that is correct way, but if you do not have axes to deer blood, as many dont, then dried blood is your next best thing.
I am very lucky i shoot and have axes to lots of deer blood,hoofs and skins, I think if your where to ask for some help on the sd there will be someone near you can give you some deer blood/hoofs to aid your training.

Tony

Tony, I have quite a few feet, skins etc. The reason I have tried dried blood is I find it easier and less mess. It is so easy to put spoonfull of powder in a container and add water.

When I collect fresh blood I sieve it through muslin to remove the fibrin. This stops it coagulating. Keeping lots of different containers in the freezer is a pain especially has I no longer have my dedicated freezer in the garage.

I now its a pain, but you are working towards following a trail without any blood just the scent from the hoofs, and as said its best to use blood and hoofs from the same animal, but its your dog and if your happy with your training and its works for you then well done.
I think my wife is very happy i have a frezer just for blood and hoofs in my beaters room, so i do see your point..!!

Tony

My aim is to have the dog follow just foot scent. Blood sign will be a bonus but at this stage it helps condition the dog to keep the nose down. I don't think it will be to difficult to get the dog to search for foot scent primarily. I am aware that even a well shot beast may leave very little blood spore. I plan to claim my freezer back where I can keep all my "training aids" without earache!

it a pity you are so far away from my location as the BDS are holding a dogs for deer weekend at the end of september at my place, my friend and tracking teacher Kim Schou Jorensen will be bringing his Labador and Hanoverian hound to give demos and show what can be achived with the right trainingt.

Tony

Hi Deerman, not far from Newbury, the weekend is being organised by our local wessex branch of the BDS, we are lucky to have Kim schou Jorensen as our teacher for the weekend, have a look at the link to check him out you can use the tool bar to translate.

http://www.schweisshund.dk/

Tony

Hi

I'm sure this just reflects my ignorance in this area, but is the foot scent from a shot deer different from that of a normal deer? In other words, why would a dog follow the foot scent of a wounded animal, and not other deer? I naively thought it was the blood that provided the scent to follow.

Andrew

Andrew, your dog Will follow the scent of the deer from the shot site and only follow that scent, all deer scents are different a bit like a police tracking dog following one mans scent among many.
Hope this helps.

Tony

Andrew, it is thought that a shot deer produces lots of adrenalin and this is reflected in the interdidgital glands and the amount they secrete.

Back