Firearms Form 111

just

Hi there, just got my variation through for various guns, including a "Firearms Form 111 - Permit to possess a firearm and/o'r ammunition" where they have included my currently owned .22 Hornet on which is valid for 12 months !? :eek: Doe's that mean i'm not authorised to use it ? It wasn't what i expected after the conversation with the FEO !

You mention a conversation with your FEO, but haven't revealed the context, or the content for that matter.

Form 111 is a temporary Permit for Possession of a Firearm..... 12 months isn't 'temporary', and use is usually prohibited.

It can't cover Ammunition either.

The usual is 28 days ........ with the wording 'THIS FIREARM IS NOT TO BE FIRED'. Whatever your FEO says, the terms of Form 111 are what matters.

Last edited:
It does cover ammunition - says so on the form. But not use of either firearm or ammunition. Whether the police will issue it for ammunition or not is a different matter...

Hi there, my argument/conversation with the FEO was that the .22 Hornet could be used on a couple of relatively built up areas i had as shooting grounds and the 22/250 ive just aquired on more open land !thought we'd seen eye to eye, but it seems that the FEO would rather give me one calibre per quarry regardless of safety issues ! Iv'e got 12 months to shift it, and untill then iv'e only the rights to posses the firearm and ammunition !! :eek: Not to worry ! It'll be a sad day when it goes :(

I wonder whether the FLO has misunderstood your circumstances; perhaps he has mistakenly come to the conclusion that you do not have good reason to use both these quite different chamberings.

It might be worth writing him a letter to try to clarify the situation?

Hi there, my argument/conversation with the FEO was that the .22 Hornet could be used on a couple of relatively built up areas i had as shooting grounds and the 22/250 ive just aquired on more open land !thought we'd seen eye to eye, but it seems that the FEO would rather give me one calibre per quarry regardless of safety issues ! Iv'e got 12 months to shift it, and untill then iv'e only the rights to posses the firearm and ammunition !! :eek: Not to worry ! It'll be a sad day when it goes :(

And you're going to accept what he deigns 'to give you'?

If you have good reason to possess both calibres for whatever situation and quarry you have put forward on your application, then he/they can either approve or refuse your application. This sounds as if someone is assuming you are just going to roll over and take whatever they throw your way.

Either stand up for what you want and get their reasons for refusal in writing or if you don't really care one way or the other about the outcome, why bother asking for opinions/advice in the first place? Not being harsh, but if you want to hang on to your rifle you'll have to make a stand or get one of the shooting orgs involved on your behalf.

Last edited:
This has been an interesting thread.

It shows everyone's different experience of an obscure area of Firearms Licensing, and is a perfect illustration of the value of this website..... in that it shows different practices of FLD's throughout the UK.

If North Wales are issuing Form 111's with a 1-year term then that's encouraging because it's an imaginative use of them.

I'd thought that Firearms Form 111 Permits were temporary to cover ONE-FOR-ONE transactions on a grace or favour basis. All mine have been delivered by hand to cover situations where I was trading a long-held rifle for another, and had to travel hundreds of miles to do the exchange.

For those of you who haven't seen one they're entitled PERMIT TO POSSESS A FIREARM AND/OR AMMUNITION. Each of those I've had were issued with a covering letter of questionable legality instructing that these MUST BE RETURNED BEFORE THE EXPIRY DATE. This was only a month away in each case.

I now only have the photocopies. It appears that as each transaction was a 1-for-1 (same calibre (cartridge)) for a Firearm for which I already had Section 1 Approval then the Ammunition heading was blanked out ..... (or 'Redacted' as in the dodgy MP's Expense Claims furore) so the approval for ammo doesn't appear.

The Form 111's I've got appear to be bog-standard. All have a final Condition 5. ...."THE FIREARMS TO WHICH THIS PERMIT RELATES ARE NOT TO BE FIRED".

So what's the point of having them.... apart from 1-for-1's ..... or when you're dead?

A while ago I undertook to sell a rifle on behalf of a friend who was giving up shooting. I got a Form 111 Temporary Permit (for, I think, a year) which as others have stated allowed me to possess but not use the rifle (there was no ammunition involved in this case). By the end of the period covered by the permit I hadn't managed to sell the rifle and went to return it to its owner - not possible! Once transferred to a Temporary Permit a firearm is apparently taken off a FAC; for the owner to take it back he would have had to apply for a variation... The rifle was promptly lodged with a RFD for sale (probably what we should have done in the first place...).

Andrew

Thinking i'll have to put in for yet another variation ! maybe the .22 Hornet will do for some long range rabbit work !?:D

Back