Another Fine Evenings Stalking In Sutherland

Glen Cadwallader

I'd just like to thank JayB for all the fantastic stalking he has put my way recently up in Sutherland.

Another Red stag went down last night a youngish beast only 3/4 years old but weighing in at 58.5kg larderweight, The evening started with a torrential down pour, the forest roads were all flooded through the forest.

I was not deterred, I stalked on regardless as this is one of my favourite woods, all 3 species are prolific, Red, Roe and Sika, I'd seen a few sika hinds on my travels and decided as it was flat calm to go and sit in the high seat.. The rain continued, the midgies were brutal but I had the net on, the camo hung around the highseat and I sat it out.

A sika stag crossed well out of safe range (400 metres), followed by a roe doe to my left which dashed across the ride more or less under the high seat.

The Rain stopped and seconds later the Red stag stepped out into the open, 80 yards out, he looked right at the high seat, I froze, he looked away and I gently lifted the rifle, this continued 3 or 4 times until I had the rifle in position.

He shook off the rain, grazed forward, stopped lifted his head, the .270 cross hairs fell stable on him and he dropped in a heap on the spot.

It was still only 8pm, I wanted to sit the seat out until dusk, even with the shot going off I think more deer would have presented, but I didnt I got down, went over, bled and gralloched the stag and headed off to pick up the quad bike.

All said and done, I was back at Jayb's for 9.30pm and his better half had the kettle on (as always) an amazing woman.. John really does live in the lap of luxury:D

Thanks again for all the stalking John and here's to many more sucessful stalks :cool:

photo.JPG

badvoon.JPG

Nice one Glen he was in wonderful condition and I could see as you were lifting him that he was quite heavy :D. Shame we could not connect this morning, but it was a nice morning and I saw a Jay, I have never seen one so far North before. He is just behind me and to the right :D
17082011067.jpg

GC Well done again mate oh i wish i could be having a go at those Sika ( yes i no this one was a Red ) but its been a long time since ive been to Scotland after Sika :thumb:

A great morning this morning JAYB.. Roll on the next outing :D... Stunning views of loch shin..

boydy, yes indeed, nothing like the Scottish highlands to remind you you are living .. You will have to come up soon

A great morning this morning JAYB.. Roll on the next outing :D... Stunning views of loch shin..

boydy, yes indeed, nothing like the Scottish highlands to remind you you are living .. You will have to come up soon

GC Trust me mate if my personal situation chages for the Better i will be ther QUICK SMART. Keep up the good work and updates :drool: :drool: :thumb:

Sounds absolutely excellent Glen. Patience rewarded.
I've stalked Red & Sika hinds in the area on Duchally & Invercassely with good friends & it's a great area. Superb views and an all round good place to go stalking. Cheers, :old:

Boydy, hope to see you up here soon then!

Deeangeo, you have sure travelled the country Judging by your pics! I know those areas well.. Stunning

Paul, thanks mate. Hoping to get out there again soon!

well done there glen that high seat is the best iv seen great views up the rides theres always something
moving ,be it deer ,birds etc il have to be giving john a call to see if theres any room to get me up for shot
at the reds or sika again :lol:

Back