Thread: military Rifle Calibres outside the Uk?

military Rifle Calibres outside the Uk?

Can anyone help me by giving me a bit of advice as to if there is a problem with me proposing to take a 30-06 over to europe, as one of my know it all buddies-(you know the type) has advised me that there is a real big prob with taking a military calibre rifle into some europian countries.

Now I have had lots of europian guests over stalking with me in the last year with 30-06 or 7.62, 223 & so on from Germany & Denmark.

I would just like to have this question clarified for me if anyone can help-as I am in the process of replacing my estate rifle with a Sako 30-06 & intended to take her over to Europe Boar Hunting in the near future as the round is very suited with the larger grain bullets for the old eurohogs.

Regs Lee

Military calibres are a definite no-no in a few European countries, particularly France. No Calibre, even obsolete ones, can be used for hunting in France. So this includes 30/06, 308, 223, 8x57, 6.5x55 and a few others I can't think off just now.

You may have issues with some calibres in Italy and Spain also, but I am not sure about that.

Certainly no problems as you travel east, Belgium, Germany, Poland, Czech Rep, Hungary etc your 30/06 or whatever is fine.

Hi Lee,
    I might be able to help more if you can be a bit more specific about where you want to hunt. I know the French don't like 30.06. The Italians I hunt with love the 30.06, it is probably their most popular round. I have a contact in Germany who could advise about their laws, but as I said you perhaps need to decide where you want to go first. Alternatively do as I did and get a 7x64. I haven't found any country who won't allow one in, thats basicaly why I chose it.

Mark, that is pretty good advice.

The 7x64 seems to be very popular all over Europe.

Not much chance of factory ammo in the UK.

Dicksons in Edinburgh, Fife Field Sports in Kirkcaldy and Macloeds up in Tain all routinely stock 7x64 ammo. Possibly not as much choice as with other rounds. And in London J R Roberts & Sons carry most calibres - You may just have to go a wee bit further to get ammo and buy a few boxes at a time.

I too have come to the same conclusion as Buckup having done some research on the subject - France / Belgium don't allow any Military calibres. Some African countries also don't like military claibres - particularly the 303.

30 06

Many thanks for the replys, I do already have a Sako 75 in 7x64 as the existing estate rifle & this is being givon to the chap that works for me as he is just having his section 1 granted-so I needed to replace her with somthing pretty much the same & this 30 06 has come up at the right price.

The only ammo I could get hold of here for the 7x64 was 150gr Sako & that was straight via GMK. However the guests that I have had over with that calibre seem to have a very wide choice open to them in europe.

If I do hunt Boar in europe it would probably be Poland or Albania I think anyway rather than France.

Best Wishes Lee

HI. If you are going to Europe get RWS ammo.
    They do an excellent H.-Mantel , 11.2 gram [173gr.] copper hollow-point.

I used this on Reds with excellent results.

You can also get the 11.2 gram Teilmantel [173gr.] round-nose softpoint or the 11.5 gram [177gr.] Original Brenneke-TIG.
    All of these will sort out any piglets you may find.

I used RWS 12.1gr [187gr.] copper hollow points in my 8X68S the first time I went to Africa and they flattened everything I pointed it at but I had the ring of incompetence on my forehead for weeks afterwards.
    It was too much gun for my scrawny frame.

Well in Norway the only restrictions are that no semi-auto military type weapon
    may be used for hunting. There is also a minimum muzzle energy at 100m
    that restricts the calibre for hunting.

So if you want to go roe stalking with .50BMG then come over.