Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dogs killing chickens

Dogs killing chickens

This is not strictly a Legal Matter as such but could become one.

I am wondering if any members have had similar experience of the following.

Scenario is friends of our have been losing a considerable number of free range chickens and initially thought fox were to blame. The hens were not being eaten as it turns out which makes fox seem unlikely.

Turns out that the residents in the neighbouring property who is a rather anti social wierdo has been allowing his 5 dogs to go through the fence and into my friends property.

It is in a rural location.

Last night by sheer chance, the dogs were witnessed killing chickens and my friend was informed. When wierdo realised he had been seen he called his dogs back and went into his house and refused to answer his door. The dogs have never been put on a lead and have bitten in the past.

My friend is a very reasonable guy, and all his fences and gates are well maintained. Wierd neighbour as it turns out, (which can be seen from a path worn in the undergrowth), has been routinely "excercising" his dogs in my friends grounds.

It should be noted that neighbours has a considerable amount of ground to excercise his dogs on.

A few years ago words were exchanged over these dogs chasing my friends horses but to avoid a repetition, the horses are no longer put in the fields adjoining their property as he fortunately has a good bit of ground and had an alternative.

My friend works away and has his wife and 3 young kids at home and could obviously do without any hassle and wants an easy life. He has a holding number and runs a small holding and has spent an absolute fortune on fencing trying to do things right.

Has anyone experienced anything similar and how was it resolved?

Bob

Put up a good electric fence that should do the trick

After the third time in a day, I went round and "had strong words" he insisted it wasnt his dog but a fox, at that I told him the next time I saw a fox it would be shot, his responce was you wouldnt shoot the kids dog would you?

try me, it never happend again,

Have had similar trouble in the past. I never got involved in conversation with the owners of the dogs as i knew they were going to be difficult.
    Just shot the dogs and buried them. On the first occasion no one even bothered,on the second incident(different owners) just denied everything and even spent half a morning looking for the dogs.In both cases never had no more trouble.
    Dont get mad, get even.Tusker.

Quote Originally Posted by tusker View Post
    Have had similar trouble in the past. I never got involved in conversation with the owners of the dogs as i knew they were going to be difficult.
    Just shot the dogs and buried them. On the first occasion no one even bothered,on the second incident(different owners) just denied everything and even spent half a morning looking for the dogs.In both cases never had no more trouble.
    Dont get mad, get even.Tusker.
    You are on a sticky wicket here and I am amazed you are prepared to admit to this. It is illegal to shoot a dog as it is the property of another person. You would be charged with vandalism at the very least and if the animal suffered because of a poor shot, you may well be charged with causing unnecessary suffering or cruelty as well. This is the exact scenario a friend of mine went through with a neighbours cat. Charged with vandalism, causing suffering and reckless discharge of a firearm as it was in his back garden. Luckily the courts saw sense and dropped the case against him. He had his guns removed in the meantime though.

Certain circumstances allow for dogs to be shot, the obvious being worrying sheep however, poultry do not come under the definition of 'livestock' as such.

It is irrelevant what you think is the correct way of dealing with the problem. If you want to risk loosing your guns carry on with this attitude because one time you will be seen.

I sympathise with the persons having the problems but lets keep it legal.
    Last edited by jamross65; 21-08-2011 at 17:02.

hi, my fac states i can shoot animals for the protection of other animals, would that not cover it??? this is a question not saying i would shoot his dogs.stav

poultry problems

i have had this problem, only my birds where once in a lifetime rare breed show birds. extremely expensive (300 each ish) and once gone where unobtainable again. i lost the breeding line due to a neighbours dog (pitbull) which was found by me playing with my dead birds on my lawn. although shooting the animal had crossed my mind, as i was not keeping poultry as a registered "farm" / "business" the law regarding protecting my livestock was a grey area.

I captured the dog, not a problem, it jumped straigt into my landy next to me, and took it to a not so local (275 miles away) rescue centre. the dog was handed in as a stray, as it had no collar or chip. I returned home to discover neighbour looking for his dog and offering to pay me compensation for my birds that lay dead over on his property. I informed him that there was no point in taking money from him as the birds could not be replaced. he informed me that he would have his dog put to sleep when he found it.

Nothing more was said, i stopped keeping poultry and went onto sheep with horns that ram the **** out of anything remotley interesting!

I did feel that this was not the dogs fault, it was the owners and as such the dog did not deserve to be put to death for doing what comes naturally, the dog was rehomed.
    The neighbours fled when coppers came looking for them with debt collectors, and after a few more piss taking neighbours i now have a loveley nieghbour that is awsome!

my advice, if the dogs can be captured, then take them to the kennels, even if you are witnessed taking the dogs to a kennel, the owner will soon get angry having to pay the fees to get his dogs back.

Skipp.

Stealh Cam on run photo proof let poilce know when you have it and your solicitor.

Thanks for all your input guys.

The matter will be put in the hands of the Police.

Luckily ,there are witnesses and it appears there is a clear breach of The Dogs (protection of Livestock) Act 1953.

Under this Act, domestic fowl are defined as livestock and the "worrying" aspect can be constituted by the fact the dogs are off lead (out of control), on someone elses land and in the act of killing the chickens on what it legally an allotment with a holding number ect.

It APPEARS to be straighforward enough, but we'll see.

easiest and quickest solution is shoot the dog/s
    most costly way is to shoot the dog/s

there is no easy way around it
    ask the owner to pay up for the damages and keep his dogs under control or you will hav no option but to inform the police and also shoot the dogs if they are seen killing the chickens