Thread: 308 bullets on a fallow

308 bullets on a fallow

Just a couple of pics of 308 meat damage or the lack of .
    These are 120 gn 308 copper bullets shot at 50m Lung shot

Entrance side

Exit side

The lungs were devasted by the copper fragmenting tip but none got as far as the ribcage.
    We had a very good blood trail but my dog was required as the brambles got a little too thick .

Hope you find this interesting

Hi MarkH,
    Very clean! I might give those bullets a try when I finally get into reloading.

Yee...haa! 200 posts!!! Do I get a gold star and a lucky bag?

I have to ask, would a normal jacketed round have killed it outright?

no real sign of expansion.

The answer to your question is 'it would have done the same' but most likely with a larger exit wound.
    These bullets undergo controlled fragmentation of the tip and then return to just over calibre diameter (shoulder stabilise) which allows deep penetration in a straight path.

i don't know

I don't know about this apparent lack of full expansion. I would like to compare it with a wound channel from 150 gr speer spitzer.

Hi Steve
    I am not questioning that std bullets kill cleanly. Look on this discussion as ballistic research and development. Building the better mousetrap so to speak. We will loose lead in bullets eventually so I am playing with copper.
    This is a typical wound channel for a KJG. Small entrance. Severe tissue disruption @ 10cm into the carcass and then a relatively small exit. On a pure lung shot you will expect the beast to run whatever you shoot it with. In this case 30m straight into thick brambles (my dogs are always close by and need the practice).
    Steve I think you know the answer to your question the exit wound would be either larger but sometimes it will not exit in a straight line ending up in the shoulder or liver. I shot 16 impala this year with std lead copper bullets (lung shot) and on one beast the bullet did not exit even when shot at 50m.
    The reason is that as the lead deforms the shape of the bullet becomes rounded and looses shoulder stabilisation. the consequence is deviaition of the initial wound path and tumbling. This is the reason that monolithic solids for dangerous game rifles are flat nosed rather than round now.
    As an extreme example here are two 155 gn KJG 375 H+H bullets and a 150gn 308 Hornady interbond. The frontal area of the 308 is now greater than the 375 and the tissue resistance will reduce straight line penetration on larger beasts.

The next pic is a shoulder shot yearling fallow shot at 50m with the 375 H+H, the bottom wound is the inside of the entrace and the smaller wound at the top is the exit showing the controlled fragmentation on entry. The degree of fragmentation is controlled by varying the depth of the hollow point. A lot of roe are shot on the Continent with 9.3mm
    THe next pic is the hole just 10cm into the shoulder. This is created by primary and secondary projectiles copper splinters/bone) splintering away after entry. The copper splinters are quite large and easily spotted and removed unlike the tiny copper jacket fragments from, for example ballistic tips.

Remember this is illustrative on how the bullet works on a cull animal. Normally a 7mm bullet is used and shooting through bone is avoided to maximise saleable meat. Having said that even if I shot it with a 308 through the shoulder I still would have to discard the shoulder due to meat damage whichever bullet I use.

IMHO by keeping the shot to heart and lungs you get a clean kill, very little carcass damage and any copper splinters remain in the lung/heart tissue.

Just skinned the fallow to show the exit wound damage