Dog well and truly banged up,very graphic pics!!!!

re'M'ington

I was out with the dogs just for a walk last night,and,Ula got scent of something(munty I think)and gave chase into the woods,this does happen pretty regularly,so,I am used to it so I carried on around the wood while the terrier followed Ula.Usually she will overtake me after a hundred yards or so at a rate of knots,but,this time she just very gingerly wandered up behind me with her head down as if she had done something wrong,so,I immediately thought uh oh,another split pad or something,but,when I looked her over I saw a HUGE gash down her right side just behind her shoulder,so,I phoned the vet immediately and arranged to meet her at the surgery.We then took a slow walk back to the truck,as I didn't want to pick her up,as it was obviopusly very sore,and I also didn't want to contaminate the wound any more than it already was.I had to leave her at the vets where they cleaned her up,cut away part of the skin as it was dead(?)and then stitch her up,I picked her up this morning,and,luckily it appears that she has only damaged the skin muscle and not any major muscles ie. shoulder/chest or back,and,she has slept most of the day as I expected her to,but,I am dreading her waking up,and feeling like she wants to run around or play with the terrier,anyway for the not so squeemish here are a few pics of the wound before and after stitching.........I must just say,I am astounded by how much damage this little girl can take in her stride,Mike Brown surely has the toughest whippets about................
DSC00003.jpg

DSC00002.jpg

DSC_0002-16.jpg

DSC_0003-6.jpg

Hello Martin. I hope Ula makes a speedy recovery mate.
What do you reckon, a tear from a branch or barbed wire?
Ula sure looks sore at present.
basil.

basil said:
Hello Martin. I hope Ula makes a speedy recovery mate.
What do you reckon, a tear from a branch or barbed wire?
Ula sure looks sore at present.
basil.

She has been turning a few munties out lately Bas,but,it could of been any number of things mate,I will probably never know,unless I find a bit of her on some wire later(urgh!)..........Martin.

Martin sorry to see your dog in a state , very nasty hope a full recovery is imminante, Time to spoil your Ula for awhile :) not that you dont anyway.
Dogs seem to weather the storm and are remakably robust , still a very nasty wound,Iwould dread owt happening to my pair.
Regards Trapper

Martin sorry to see your dog in a state , very nasty hope a full recovery is imminent, Time to spoil your Ula for awhile :) not that you dont anyway.
Dogs seem to weather the storm and are remarkably robust , still a very nasty wound,I would dread owt happening to my pair.
Regards Trapper

Trapper said:
Martin sorry to see your dog in a state , very nasty hope a full recovery is imminent, Time to spoil your Ula for awhile :) not that you dont anyway.
Dogs seem to weather the storm and are remarkably robust , still a very nasty wound,I would dread owt happening to my pair.
Regards Trapper

Thanks mate.............Martin.

Ooh that looks nasty, I hope she's OK. Still, it seems superficial.

Putting my non-expert know it all forensic hat on, the wound looks like an upwards slice/laceration. If she ran into or past something you'd expect it to be more horizontal ??

It's hard to see how she could have come down on something e.g. stump branch with such consistent force to cause such a wound. Possible though.

Years ago one of our german shepherds went awol and came in with the skin on his head, and right round his ear hanging down, the vet sewed it up and he recovered just fine.

Tough as old boots, dogs. They just have that 'feel sorry for themselves' face down to a tee.

Them munty s can cause some real damage when caught over the back looks like your whippet has had a lucky escape i remember a picture put up on a hunting site were the larger lurcher was in a real mess doing just the same thing. Looks like a good job mate and i am sure you dog will be fit as a fiddle real soon.
Over skin spays and external anti biotic are what is needed now cycatrin etc them type of wounds can go bad if you don't keep a very close eye on them.

Sorry to see your dog so badly cut up, dogs are tough buggers I am sure if the wound is kept clean it will heal up fine.

Best rgds

Tahr

beechessam said:
re'M'ington said:
I was out with the dogs just for a walk last night,and,Ula got scent of something(munty I think)and gave chase into the woods,this does happen pretty regularly,so,I am used to it so I carried on around the wood while the terrier followed Ula.

I am not implying anything.

The above quote clearly describes two dogs in pursuit of deer.

re'M'ington said:
I was out with the dogs just for a walk last night,and,Ula got scent of something(munty I think)and gave chase into the woods,this does happen pretty regularly,so,I am used to it so I carried on around the wood while the terrier followed Ula.

beechessam said:
re'M'ington said:

Not the tidiest stitching I've ever seen but dogs being dogs it will probably heal just fine.

Mark

re'M'ington said:
beechessam said:
re'M'ington said:

An interesting and obviously considered response Martin.

It is people like you who give the fieldsports a bad name and to post on a stalking forum looking for sympathy shows the depth of your ignorance.

I tried to be subtle but you lack the ability to recognise when someone is trying to help you.

Just keep you fingers crossed that you local wildlife office or FLO has not picked up on your activities.

beechessam said:
re'M'ington said:
beechessam said:
re'M'ington said:

An interesting and obviously considered response Martin.

It is people like you who give the fieldsports a bad name and to post on a stalking forum looking for sympathy shows the depth of your ignorance.

I tried to be subtle but you lack the ability to recognise when someone is trying to help you.

Just keep you fingers crossed that you local wildlife office or FLO has not picked up on your activities.

You didn't deserve more than one word.........Martin.

Ditto,
bech get a grip dogs not in active pursuit ! just injured!.
Trapper, (no big debate needed here, dog hurt huge vet bill sorted!)

Yep the dog is injured stop trying to be a little bit to clever, in my considered opinion he is stating nothing that would implicate himself in any illegal activity.
My dogs regularly chase hares at night on our estate, not because I actively want them to but purely as a doggy thing they do.
Hope your dog recovers well mate

Back