Lack of support from BASC

375 mag

I recently had an application for a pistol for humane despatch declined by Northyorkshire police giving me 21 days to appeal at court ! i contacted Basc by phone on numerous occations leaving messages i then tried emailing them and still no response, the 21 days has now lapsed " on my last email i reminded them how much money they would be loosing when two syndicates would now not be renewing their memberships guess what they replied to that one the next day !!!! so from now on i'll be choosing NGO

Has anyone else had a better or simillar response from this outfit ?

I might be wrong but I recall BASC changing their policy some years ago to only supporting cases they felt they could win. I stopped paying my subscription five years ago as I didn't see the value in it and stuck with BDS and NGO instead.

I also may be wrong but if the police felt you have no cause for a humane dispatch pistol they alone must have seen your evidence of said need and dismissed it or you suitability. I don't think many people need or will be called upon regularly enough to justify the Chief Constables' signature. BASC know this historically to be no-win fight.

Last edited:
Its the no response that would **ss me off .thats part off your reason for joining these companies

you should have had a response of some sort that is not good enough ,should they felt it was a helpless case they should have said !!!!

Red dot has a point however either way you should have had a response from BASC, even if it was a simple 'We don't think you need a pistol so we won't back you up', etc... the pistol thing is a bit of a grey area. I pretty sure that if you were a member of BDS there is no way they would have supported you in a pistol application.

Ali

Same happened with me, had a small dispute over the mentor condition a few years back when they first bought this condition in. Basc started the case for me then left it, I was passed onto three different people who all lost interest in the dispute. I spent so much time chasing them up as they never get back to me and in the end told me there was nothing they can do for me.

Then a friend of a friend that has years of experience in firearms and stalking wrote a nice letter to my firearms dep, to which they then kindly removed my condition.

Swisher44

Not a BASC lover by any means but i was of the opinion that only they have a Firearms legal team? I am with the SGA and they apparently call Basc for advice....

Hi I am not surprised had a similar problem, I have been with the NGO ever since,I was fuming at the time as I had been with them for 28 years. all the people I shoot with have also moved from BASC to the NGO.

I have the same view, its not to do with the content, its the lack of response. Regardless of your query or dispute, you would hope that you could speak to someone over the phone within 24hrs.

Im surprised DavidBASC hasnt made a statement yet?

I was with basc for over 20yrs never had a problem until i registerd to go on a training course .

After 3 years of waiting i went to the NGO did the training course within 6months and saved a good wad :D

Would not have anything to do with basc used to be a member jobs for the boys club.
They have not got a good name with the Arran locals either
Graham

not at all surprised i had a similar issue and recieved no help at all from basc despite trying to contact them several times! USELESS! Joined the ngo and been very happy with them, i would never adviise anyone to join basc as ive heard many stories about them doing nothing to help thier members

A year ago when I was applying for my FAC, my local Police was hesitant to accept that buying stalks was sufficient justification for a .243. It all seemed too much of a hassle and I was going to give up. Then I got in touch with BASC. They not only helped with the wording of my application and contacted my firearms department, they also helped me gain the mental strength that was needed to persevere. Without their support (an Brough's from SD) I probably would be without a centre fire. So they get my vote!

Why do you say that?

It all comes down to demonstrating 'good reason' - the same as with any firearm application.

BASC even have a fact sheet on the subject of 'Handguns for Humane Despatch' - you can download it from the link on this page: http://www.basc.org.uk/en/utilities/document-summary.cfm/docid/2DB22D3A-BE08-44D5-AFE52DB6B141280A

Seems to be quite clear on the subject - and there is case law to back it up.

Well when you put it that way it must be clear cut with the case law and all.

But it is not clear cut is it, it still remains a category 5 weapon despite the excemptions mentioned and therefore the police approach to issuing authority is not going to be as straight forward as issuing authority for cat 1 & 2. Even if there is a pamphlet. I wouldn't want to dispute who could or couldn't own one but I think it would be unreasonable to expect issuing of a pistol to be simple and straight forward.

I wouldn't pee on BASC if they were on fire........SACS for me too(they do what it says on the tin,unlike BASC)!!

Back