stupid question but ?

Distinguished Member
Ive only recently started selling carcasses to the game dealer, and to prep them i usually cut head off, lower legs off, and all pluck out, organs, windpipe etc etc.

is this what you would call larder weight or is larder weight with skin off aswell ?????.

they give me a pound for a pound and i just want to know what to expect back once ive weighed it myself.

Many thanks

ATB

Dave

Your right in what you are doing, larder weight is head and lower legs off. No need to be skinned. Although, a dealer next to me will give £3 per/Kg jacket off for Red and Sika.

TJ

as already said what you are doing is correct and as for what to expect i dont know for other species but for roe you can expect a big buck to weigh in around the 40lb mark and small yearling does will be around 25lb upwards but some game dealers will knock a bit off for shrinkage when the carcase cools

Your right in what you are doing, larder weight is head and lower legs off. No need to be skinned. Although, a dealer next to me will give £3 per/Kg jacket off for Red and Sika.

TJ

That's a good price there TJ, pushing £2.50 with skin on down here

I've been told to leave kidneys in, Also bumps the weight up(not alot but may as well)

Theoretically you should keep the pluck for inspection by the game dealer but carcass should be weighed without the pluck.

As for knocking the price down for "shrinkage" I'd tell the game dealer to shrink off!!

Mine deducts 30% per haunch or saddle damaged, which is fair enough. They don't pay more or deduct for chest and shoulder shot. When I have a big cull at the start of the season, I use a gamedealer who pays £1.25/lb for neck shot, everywhere else is £1/lb

unless it is loosing mass surely cool weight and warm weight are not noticeably different are they?
its not like it is losing water by drying out

As much as 1lb in every stone of difference between warm weight and cool weight.
A stag brought into and dressed in the larder, weighing twenty stone may weigh as little as 18.4lbs by the following morning, in the bad old days when we sometimes had to leave a beast out overnight thats the difference we added to our records , its not an exact science as some seem to loose more weight than others.

I've been told to leave kidneys in, Also bumps the weight up(not alot but may as well)

Theoretically you should keep the pluck for inspection by the game dealer but carcass should be weighed without the pluck.

As for knocking the price down for "shrinkage" I'd tell the game dealer to shrink off!!

Mine deducts 30% per haunch or saddle damaged, which is fair enough. They don't pay more or deduct for chest and shoulder shot. When I have a big cull at the start of the season, I use a gamedealer who pays £1.25/lb for neck shot, everywhere else is £1/lb

Yes leave the kidneys in but you don't need the pluck if you have trained hunter status.

Back