Case annealing machine...

hmmmm don't see the connection....

Joe

It was a joke, though obviously a poor one.

You're case annealing machine looks wonderful, but for the unititiated it is difficult to determine exactly how it works or what fits where, hence my poor attempt at likening it to something that might be used in the experiments run by the Swedish amateur nuclear scientist.

Will avoid humour where possible in the future :oops:

willie_gunn

Joe

It was a joke, though obviously a poor one.

You're case annealing machine looks wonderful, but for the unititiated it is difficult to determine exactly how it works or what fits where, hence my poor attempt at likening it to something that might be used in the experiments run by the Swedish amateur nuclear scientist.

Will avoid humour where possible in the future :oops:

willie_gunn
Ahhhh
Nae problem!
I see now! (humour is fine was a little side tracked as I am currently reading a book about how the H-bomb was developed...:eek:)

As to the annealer...
yeah it is a little unusual, and looks like a pile of junk... but seeing that it was made from spare bits'n'bobs I'm happy.
Basically motor/gearbox output turns permanently ~80 rpm.
The motor slides on the two ground rods (linear bearing assy.) operated by one air ram. (push-pull)
At the left you can see a pneumatic timer 0-30 seconds.
On the front of the base to the left is the start button, you cannot see the back where the regulator, ram etc are.
The case holder on the gearbox shaft is specifically for the .17 rem cartridge.
On the right you can see the torch assembly (was originally bernz'o'matic pencil flame torch for Yank fuel bottles until I butchered it).
You can also see that the torch can be positioned wherever you need it!
Automatic case feed is a human paw in a glove!!!!
Seeing that I maybe only need to do 100ish cases at a time I do not feel that a 'manual' feed is much of a hardship.
Really what I wanted to achieve was an infinitely variable 'in the flame' system so that I could get the annealing temperature correct.
The pick and place robot will come another day if I can be arsed!:D

As to the annealer...yeah it is a little unusual, and looks like a pile of junk

You do yourself a great injustice, it actually looks very impressive. I am not mechanically minded, so have great admiration for those who are. I could just about manage working on my Series III Land Rover, but that was glorified Meccano so doesn't really count.

I've never bothered with annealing myself - again mostly through ignorance as to why - so would be interested on your thoughts/comments/results.

BTW, if you really want to see a pile of junk I have several DIY projects here in the home that more than qualify ;)

willie_gunn

Back