Checking rifle at start of season

reddeer1

Guys,

What method do you use at the start of season and checking the rifle POM?

Clean barrel, take a few shots, clean and check again?

Do the same like your gona do wehn your go stalking.
But beware wehn you put your rifle away NO OIL in the barrel.(it;s change the first shot.)
I'll make practice shot's al the time. I go out 4 til 8 time's a month, and checking it about 10 time's a year by a shot's mis or not realy good placement ill tjeck it always.
How more i go out how more peatice shots. I have never change my scope after i got it 5years back, he is always dead on target.
greets

I don't think there are many stalkers that have a 'start of the season' as Deer are in season all year round unless you are a Trophy hunter and only active in the buck season.
Most people I know use their rifles all the time so the only time they would have a range session to check for accuracy is if they have just reloaded a new batch of ammo or after an unexplained miss.

I don't think there are many stalkers that have a 'start of the season' as Deer are in season all year round unless you are a Trophy hunter and only active in the buck season.
Most people I know use their rifles all the time so the only time they would have a range session to check for accuracy is if they have just reloaded a new batch of ammo or after an unexplained miss.

+1

Do the same like your gona do wehn your go stalking.
But beware wehn you put your rifle away NO OIL in the barrel.(it;s change the first shot.)
I'll make practice shot's al the time. I go out 4 til 8 time's a month, and checking it about 10 time's a year by a shot's mis or not realy good placement ill tjeck it always.
How more i go out how more peatice shots. I have never change my scope after i got it 5years back, he is always dead on target.
greets

DONT EVER FIRE A RIFLE WITH OIL IN THE BARREL! Forget the affect it may or may not have on the point of impact. What it will do is after prolonged abuse is weaken the barrel and possibly lead to eventual barrel failure. This happens because oil is being forced into any pores or imperfections in the barrel as the bullet travels through the barrel oil is collected between the barrel and the ogive the increase in pressure squeezes it into the pores. Well that's what they taught me through my apprecticeship as an armourer.

DONT EVER FIRE A RIFLE WITH OIL IN THE BARREL! Forget the affect it may or may not have on the point of impact. What it will do is after prolonged abuse is weaken the barrel and possibly lead to eventual barrel failure. This happens because oil is being forced into any pores or imperfections in the barrel as the bullet travels through the barrel oil is collected between the barrel and the ogive the increase in pressure squeezes it into the pores. Well that's what they taught me through my apprecticeship as an armourer.

Well, you shouldn't oil any barrel to any extent. If in a humid environment you can put a scant drop on a patch and pass it through the bore a few times and that will be enough. I'm with EMcC. Even here where we do have "seasons" I stay in practice with the rifle I plan to hnt with so that there is no checking it out, and no surprises.~Muir

I don't think there are many stalkers that have a 'start of the season' as Deer are in season all year round unless you ....

only shoot red deer.

I have been stalking 20+ years, only started stalking Roe this year. Before I joined a rifle range, started stalking Roe and started reloading it was quite likely the 270 was unused Feb to Aug/September.

as a check it was always given a couple of patches and zeroed as a matter of course

The season never ends for me not many days go by without a rifle in my hands.If you have not shot for a while get yourself to a rifle range and practice you should respect your quarry more they deserve a quick and humane death.

Oil in the barrel, or rain in the bolt races/ face can have a nasty conclusion, if you are running hot loads, a pressure spike can result from the lightest films of oil on cases / chambers.

Back