All before work

Hi All

This is my busy time of year and unfortunately I have to earn a living some time so I have't been doing much stalking lately.
Any way I was starting to get withdrawal symptoms so I thought I better get out.:cuckoo:

I didn't have to be at work at 9.00am this morning so just enough time to get have a quick stalk in the Cotswolds.

Not a bad morning 11 degrees with a stiff breeze up on the top, a few showers of rain in the night but brightening up nice for first light.

I went to a small farm where I have a few Roe it's a nice place to take Max ( my Gsp ) and stalk on foot with a nice little wood that normally holds a deer or two.

As soon as I got to the farm I spotted a Muntjac buck on the side of the road right by the farm entrance, I've only ever seen Muntjac here twice in five years.

I drove up onto the high ground and had a scan of the fields all I could see was a Roe doe with twins. I moved on back down the farm drive and spotted a Roebuck with a doe heading towards the wood, I abandoned the vehicle and cut around the hill to the top of a little valley where I expected to see them appear again. As I poked my head over the edge of the steep sided valley I spotted the doe walk into the woodland edge and the buck following he gave me one chance for a shot but the angle wasn't great and I didn't need one badly enough to trash the front end so I let him walk.

I headed back to the truck and drove to the other side of the wood and stalked back into the wind with Max.
I only got about 100 yards into the wood when Max's nose was going so I slowed up and doubled my efforts with the bino's.
A few minutes later I spotted a Muntjac buck so I got the rifle onto the sticks but where he was stood I hadn't got a clear shot so I waited, then another buck walked out onto the ride about 20 yards in front of the first buck so I swapped targets and shot the second buck. The first buck bounced off with his tail up.
I checked the buck was dead then carried on along the ride thinking that I still might see the Roebuck or the other Muntjac buck might still be on the bank that opens up above you as you walk the ride.
I got to an area with a good view and proceeded to call with the buttalo, I spotted a movement the buck was stood in a thick cover no chance of a shot, then to my right another this time a doe coming in real fast to the call, I'm under no pressure to shoot deer on this farm so I left her alone with her buck and went back to gralloch the first buck.

On my way out of the farm I spotted two fawns feeding right by where I seen the Roebuck and doe that had ran off into the wood, the way the buck was tight on her heels it looked like there's still a bit of rut activity.About four years ago I called a buck which a friend shot on this farm on August bank holiday Monday, must be something in the water :D
When I inspected the Muntjac buck he had some real nasty wounds on his rear end they must have been having a fair old scuffle over that doe as I said must be something in the water so I bottled some and took it home ;) So I spotted 7 Roe and four Muntjac not bad on a little farm I'd only seen two Munties on before:eek:

Have a nice day

Wayne

P8280165.jpg

P8280167.jpg

Out again this morning before work after a Fallow, first thing I spotted was a Roebuck :doh:

I ignored the Roe as I hoped there would be a bunch of Fallow out nearer the wood.

I wasn't dissapointed when I sneaked down a low wall and looked over the brow, there was a bunch of about twenty five out including three prickets "perfect" I sneaked the Blaser onto the wall with Max looking over my shoulder to make sure I done it right :D and waited for the pricket to stand clear of the bunch and squeezed the trigger he wobbled around then dropped nice one, quick gralloch and back home to the fridge and onto work.

Finbear 270 I was ten minutes early to work today so I made up the time for yesterday:D

Cheers

Wayne

P8290169.jpg

well done wayne, that means you can go again in the morning now you have 5 minutes flexi time in the bank :thumb:

Back