Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: rifle

looking at geting my first stalking rifle any sugestions on calibre and make as with credit crunch not to dear 243 or 308

Remmy700 in .308 wil cover most things.

I didn't really want to let other site members know this, but I own two BSA CF2's. I bought the first one because the landowner wanted his deer shot, offered me the ground, but needed an answer immediately. At the time money was tight and a .243 was available in a local gunshop, complete with scope for 250. The other one is in 6.5x55 and they both shoot sub minute.

A recommendation of your own rifle will be the one most people make. It's certainly an easy one. Let me provide the first :

Ruger Hawkeye, 243 SS, synthetic stock circa 500+ new.

Or go into your local gun shop and buy the cheapest S/H complete set up they have!

If it's your first rifle, look at conditions on your ticket and keep one eye on land clearance.

Quote Originally Posted by snowstorm
    Or go into your local gun shop and buy the cheapest S/H complete set up they have!
    thats not bad advice.

you will need a good scope also, and good binoculars, and probably a moderator, and some carlos fandango trousers, gucci wellies, janspangler jacket and hat, the list is endless...

now for some really bad advice - buy a blaser r93

really most modern rifles are very good.

my suggestion would be to go for one in a calibre fo 6.5 (.260 rem) or above. I use a 7mm08 which is great and a .30-06 which is also great. I have a .243 which i now use for foxing...... i don't feel that they are powerful enough for deer use (in my opinion and many will disagree).

the way to do this is to look at what you want to shoot and where you want to shoot it. if you are going to shoot deer upto and including big fallow or reds in the woods then you need to deliver 130 - 150 gr of bullet to the animal. so look at a calibre where those wieghts are in the middle of what they can handle (that way the twist rate will be fine) so bullet wieghts like that a 7mm08, 7 x 57, 308 win, .270, .30-06 would be good. (amongst others)

contrary to quite a lot of opinion a bigger bullet does not mean more damage. the most damaging bullet i have used on deer is 80 gr federal factory round. this also does not knock them over very well. the most effective on the deer has been 145 gr from 7mm08 and 150 gr from the .30-06.

if you take a smaller calibre i feel you will linit yourself should the oppurtunity arise. ie if you buy a .243 then get invited to take a boar or find yourself with some big fallow or sika that don't want to die then you will be found lacking.

if you reload then .260 or 7mm08 are a great choice. if you don't then .308 win, 270win 30-06 are all great choices with masses of commercially available ammunition.

American rifles are a good buy at the moment with the exchange rate. the remmy 700 sps is cheap, remmy are good and it is synthetic so you won't have to cry every time you touch the stock.

If you're buying new and not looking to spend too much cash, you won't go far wrong with a Howa or a Tikka T3. .308 or 6.5x55 will cover all UK eventualities including boar.

Tikka T3 in 6.5 2506 and you will have one of the most accurate rifles out of the box there is and you wont need to feck about with trigger etc.

with regards the BSA stutzen i had one and used it for poking the fire .

The Remington is a very good out the box rifle and should shoot sub 1" groups.

As for calibre done be put off by the 243win. A well placed 90/100 grain bullet will knock over most things the UK has to offer.

A well placed 6mm tip is better than a badly placed 7mm one.

However if you are working purely around red/fallow/sika then a 270 will do the job just fine.