Well it would appear we have had a case of deliberate fraud on the site in the classifieds section with a user registering, quickly posting 10 posts and then offering for sale some high value optics at very low prices.
He attempted to take payment from several people for the same items which presumably don't even exist.
This is a sad day for the site and although it's closing the stable door after the horse is bolted we'd obviously like to prevent this happening again so if anyone has any suggestions on the following, please chip in!
1) Currently you need 10 posts before you can start an ad in Classifieds. Is this enough? Should it be more? e.g. 30 posts and must have been a member for 30 days?
2) Suggestions for spotting a scam e.g.
- Price too good to be true
- Reluctant to give details or deal face to face, will only provide free email (hotmail, live, yahoo etc), no telephone number, no ISP or work email
- Do details match? e.g. Location on site to address or phone code
- Very recent member, search their posts - are they obviously just trying to bump up their post count or are they genuinely participating in the site
- Are there pictures of the item, can they provide a serial no., check with manufacturer serial number is genuine/not stolen
I will compile these into a guide.
Thoughts and suggestions welcome!