Knife recommendations

User00003

I have a nice wooden handled PUMA knife that was given to me by my Father when I was only 12, use it for all my shooting/stalking purposes and it will probably last me a lifetime and more.

However, I was contemplating on picking up another more 'hard duty' stalking and outdoor knife, with a fixed blade, drop point or something somewhat similar, and which I don't have to be too careful with. I considered this one - http://www.scottcountry.co.uk/products_detail.asp?productID=3918

My budget is around £75 or ideally less for this project. - oh, forgot to mention, it MUST be a knife which can be made VERY sharp.

Any other recommendations based on experienced usage?

The Swingblade is a nice knife to carry, works well, easy to put on an edge and cheap enough to loose too! ($40 from the States)

I have and use three knives which do all I can ask of them;

No1/ I have an EKA swingblade which is an outstanding bit of kit, not only a good blade which will sharpen well (and hold an edge) but it has the other blade which is ideal for starting the skinning of deer legs, as well as when opening the gut without pierceing the rumen. Comes in a very useful orange coulour which makes it hard to lose. http://www.swillingtonshootingsupplies.co.uk/store/product/7931/Eka-Swingblade---Orange/

No2/ Is a Mora 2010, stainless, again takes a reasonable edge, but is flexible and comes with a dishwaher safe sheath. Probably the best designed sheath of the three. It is green so watch where you put it.
http://www.prosharp.co.uk/detail.asp?item_id=1352&item_name=Mora+2010+Outdoor%2FHunting+knife

No3/ A Spyderco "Bill Moran". It is stupidly sharp, and retains the edge very well, comes with a kydex sheath which can be bunged in the dishwasher as well as the knife. This was my most expensive knife which again comes with a very useful orange handle. This appears to have been discontinued, although you can still buy a black handled one. they have also gone up in price to above your budget, Sorry!
http://www.shopwiki.co.uk/Spyderco-FB02P-Bill-Moran-Drop-Point/products/Spyderco

I have never payed out anywhere near the top of your budget, I am sure your choice will be hard to make. But I would not be without either of my three, they all have their uses.

Simon

Last edited:
all nice looking knives, will evaluate over the course of a few days - thanks for your input guys.

of course, more posts from other members is still appreciated.

PKL

Have a look at the A G Russell website they have loads of good knives and will ship to the uk. Anything with a RC hardness is above 52 will once sharpned hold it's edge for sometime. D2 steel is good will hold an edge.

Jase

From my experience as a witness, i would have the very popular Mora 860mg very good edge easy sharpened, easy cleaned, a inexpensive if lost, try www.forestandhill.co.uk and they have free postage.

Both the boning & mora knife on this 'link' are superb, good quality steel that keeps an edge & good grip. Just get a bud who messes with leather to make good sheaths.. 20yrs+ here in the use , with the boner & still going strong :)

I have a Bill Moran that will be up for sale due to me buying a Alan Wood from one of our members, i also have a custom made leather sheath for the knife, The knife has been used twice to gralloch thats all

Interested anyone ??

I have a Bill Moran that will be up for sale due to me buying a Alan Wood from one of our members, i also have a custom made leather sheath for the knife, The knife has been used twice to gralloch thats all

Interested anyone ??

I like the thought of the Bill Moran Drop Point with the black rubber handle....

I recently got a Yellow handled EKA Swingblade from Kristoffer Claussen for £45, excellent value.

Postage price was very reasonable and prompt delivery, finding the swingblade to be excellent, great edge very sharp and nice size of knife.

Regards

BP

Reduced swingblades here......KNIVER - KRISTOFFER CLAUSEN

Last edited:
9" fixed blade is too long IMHO, it will catch on everything and be a pain. 8" or 200cm is the norm for me.

I have many,many knifes and nothing compares to the Fallkniven F1 or H1 for edge retention.

I opened a red spiker from erse to t1t with it on monday and i have not even thought about sharpening it. Swing blade does look interesting though, but maybe a barsteward to clean like all folders.

If you want a brand new in box puma catamount stag PM me and we can work something out.

take a look at the Boker treebrand line up or the Cudeman from Spain both take an excellent edge and are reasonably priced.

http://www.knifeman.co.uk/ViewItem.php?ItemID=260

I brought two skinning knives from this chap one for myself and one for my buddy in St Louis. This is my one:-

CudmanSidingknife.jpg

This is one of my Boker's:-

BokerStaghandledknife.jpg

And this the other:-

BokerArbolito.jpg

Cudeman do a similar style to my Stag scaled knife:-

KnifeMan

Hope that helps some with the decision.

I've also got the swing blade but the sheath is awful, we at leaset I have found it to be. The velcor strat stop being useful after about a month and the plastic insert is in peices. The gut hook is usefull for skinning uit just a gimmic for gralloching really, just put your figer along the back of the knife blade, simple! Having the extra slot makes cleaning it a litte bit of a pain in the ass.

Back