Ammunition Rules - how to dispose of unwanted ammo

Yokel Matt

Could someone please advise me what the form is with disposing of unwanted centerfire ammo:-| Basically i've got best part of 80 rounds of factory FMJ target ammo (Lapua Scenar and FQM) taking up space in my cabinet that i'll never use (although I was told 'just clip the tips off and they'll be fine for deer & foxs' by someone who shall remain nameless).

I asked about trading it in at a gun shop who, understandably, wouldn't touch it with a barge pole encase they were hot reloads one would imagine. It just bugs me seeing it there as the stuff is so damn expensive!

Can you sell it on / 'gift' it to another FAC holder providing they have the slot on their ticket (and if so do you have to fill in the ammo section?).

Maybe if you were a BASC or BDS member they might welcome such a donation if they were holding an "open" range day or similar event where members of the public were encouraged to come along and try shooting?

Thats not a bad idea - nice one. It would depend if they had a 6.5x55 'estate rifle' as i wouldn't be too keen to let them blaze away with mine... slamming rounds in like the last stand of the Alamo... then to lean it, smoking and cherry red, up against a wobbly table:eek:

you can either take it to local rfd or police and ask them to dispose of it,or transfer it to some one elses ticket if they trust your reloading:lol::thumb:

why don't you just pull the heads off re claim the powder and youthen have cases emptied to re load

you can either take it to local rfd or police and ask them to dispose of it,or transfer it to some one elses ticket if they trust your reloading:lol::thumb:

Its factory ammo mate... some may be a little tarnished where i've pawed them they're not tinkered with. Giving it to the plod to play with would add insult to the £100+ kick in the nuts injury i'll be taking:lol:

Edited to say that whilst re-loading does appeal I can't honestly be bothered to learn how to do it having recently sourced some decent Czech stuff for £20 a box. Also.. maybe i'm just soft but the idea of whacking out 80 live rounds using those head pulling hammers doesn't fill me with joy!

Last edited:
Yokel Matt, I will take it off your hands if you simply want to dispose of it. I'm often working in and around Bristol so could arrange to collect it at a convenient time and I will even fill in the details on my certificate for you, so all you will have to do is sign the transfer.

Matt,

I would use these as fouling rounds after I've done a serious barrel clean. Interesting to see if POI varies, and by hw much, compared to your hunting ammo :)

Stan

Back