Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Stalkers story 1920-1945 Growing up and the Lovat Scouts

A Stalkers story 1920-1945 Growing up and the Lovat Scouts

Now that the evenings are getting longer I thought some of the members might enjoy a CD that I sent to the Imperial War Museum, and the Scots At War Trust.It is a record of my fathers memoirs 1920-1945.His military service was with a relatively small group known as the Lovat Scouts
    These notes are in his own words and were kindly put on to cd by a family friend.
    All the notes were originally put down on sheets of A4.Some of the notes were not put on record, as my father had written then scored out some pages that were obviously painful to him.
    However I feel many of you will enjoy this, as it is an insight into the past from an countrymans perspective.
    There are a couple of guys on this forum who knew him,if they haven`t seen this before .Enjoy

Cheers C
    Scots at war trust --Veterans reminescences--Donald John Mackenzie-- Lovat Scouts

I'm hooked,interesting and amusing at the start anyway,will look forward to the rest tomorrow
    One of my grandfathers was with the scots guards,sgt,joined when he was 17,won mm and mc in Italy,he would tell me about the war at the weekends after he'd had a drink,I miss him
    My other granda was on the minesweepers,sunk 5 times,he would never speak about the war,miss him too
    Without these type of men we wouldn't have the life we have today

Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site:
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Quite right.
    My Dad Done the lot, D-Day, North Africa.
    My mates when we were teenagers, used to come around to our house on a Saturday night after the pubs shut (10.30 then) with a crate of brown ale and get him to tell them stories about his exploits...
    Some of his favourite saying were:
    "Apart from the killing (he never mentioned anything like that) I had a great time" and probably his best was. "I was on the beach in Normandy when the first bullet was fired at us.

Was back in Liverpool when they fired the second"

Great memories. Never forget them

I had the privilidge to serve under Capt Jack Cheeseman. True gent and great character. He was a lance Cpl. on the d day landings. some of the stories were great but greater still was his attitude. Last met him prior to didcharge as Mjr CO bomb disposal. Wind up merchant second to none.

Cracking read, really enjoyed it thanks

A small band of people, who had an exceeding large impact on proceedings, I would be grateful to get a link of some sort to download anything so related. Steven.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Anyone got a direct link?

Apologies I`m not very good with this computer but the above should get you there.
    Cheers Hummel

I hope Ken has read this. What a cracking read and thanks for making it available for us all.

One of my favourite books is Isolation Shepherd, but your father's words take us way beyond that. I'm going to make another cup of tea and read the rest. Thoroughly enjoying it and missing the older Highland generations. My grandfather recorded some words about his life in Rhenigidale on Harris and it is so special to hear his words so long after his passing. Thanks again.