No need for deer management anymore

The US government should have had a chat with the SDC would have been cheaper to chopper in some deer managers and do a glenfeshi than spend millions developing a vaccine.

Who's going to pay for it?

Can you seriously see this taking off at £600 per animal? And the cost attached to netting, tagging, recording etc etc etc. Are the FC's losses due to deer damage enough to warrant the expense? Particularly if the animal that is innoculated on Monday is shot on Tuesday on neighbouring land :p

You've got to catch the deer to drug it.... and then they still eat stuff afterwards. That's stupid, far more practical to cull.

The cost, catching and logging would make it unworkable. Also ever thought what would happen if a humane eats the meat of an animal with this vaccine and became infertile. If other animals eat a carcass would they become infertile.

Can you seriously see this taking off at £600 per animal? And the cost attached to netting, tagging, recording etc etc etc. Are the FC's losses due to deer damage enough to warrant the expense? Particularly if the animal that is innoculated on Monday is shot on Tuesday on neighbouring land :p

Thats what i was thinking,what happens if you eat one..... no babies for 5 years or worse no notion:eek:

If you have to catch the animal first you may as well slit its throat which will stop it from breeding as well and its permanent :rolleyes:

Americans!!

I sat in a seminar in Queen's University in Belfast last year where the subject of the "Muntjac Invasion" of Ireland was discussed. Nasty people like me thought the obvious answer was to shoot them if they were not welcome.

Some welling meaning bint thought applying contraception was a much more "21st Century" solution to this alleged problem. I asked how she expected to administer these drugs to wild deer. I did not hear a coherent answer.

As one very experienced stalker said, "do you not realise how hard it is to get within 150m of these deer to administer a bullet? How do you propose to get to within touching distance?".

This would be another Ruddy Duck debacle, everyone "pilled" will cost about a grand. Meanwhile a couple of 100K other deer will be shagging away merrily.

Back