Thread: Total Newbie Advice

Total Newbie Advice

Hello all, I am new to forum.

I joined up due to an interest I have in deer stalking and the outdoors. I have a few questions which I hope are not too silly.

Is it possible to participate in stalking/shooting without a gun licence. I say this because I am not overly interested in owning a firearm and perhaps would only like to shoot once a year as a birthday pressie or something.

Finally is it possible to get into stalking as a volunteer, for example helping out on shoots.

Thanks for any advice.

SD Regular
    Herefordshire, Hampshire or Essex
    Welcome to the forum.

No such thing as a silly question.

It is entirely possible to participate in stalking without a firearms licence. Going with a professional stalker under the estate rifle clause (borrowing his rifle) will also mean you learn as well as enjoy. There are several firms around who are used to catering for your needs - try Jelen Deer Services in Hampshire for example -

As to helping in stalking, that's a more difficult question. Stalking tends to be hard to come by - as you will find if you read a few threads on here - and therefore it's not something you are likely to gain, even as a volunteer. Your phrase 'helping out on shoots' makes me think more of beating on a pheasant shoot than stalking - again, slots are coveted, but you may be a little more lucky in that regard. If you don't ask, you don't get!

If you write yourself an introduction (which Admin will chase you for if you don't!), it will help people get a measure of you. Be as open as you can.

Feel free to PM me for any more details/info.

E t R
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Fill in an intro, as mentioned above, & consider speaking to Ian F on here.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!