More Stealth Camera Pictures

Chris Rob

Put out two cameras this time separated by two fields, one in the same places as last time & the other in a gateway between two stubble fields. This one was less productive with 45 shots in the week mainly of rabbit & badger but about fifteen of roe & muntjac. Also a great shot of a rabbit scooting off followed 4 seconds later by a departing bird of prey through the gap!

The other camera took 450 shots but I found 150 were of me & my garage door being opened & closed as I left the camera on! :rolleyes:

The other 300 were masses of rabbits this time, a lot of badger & pheasants but some great roe & muntjac shots.

I find it really fascinating looking at these & seeing the times they were taken, the one of the muntjac scratching was taken just a few minutes before I collected the camera yesterday evening.

Cheers

Chris

SUNP0036.jpg

Muntjac in the gap

SUNP0019.jpg

Roe & 2 youngsters we see every week

SUNP0450.jpg

Muntjac having a good old scratch!

SUNP0442.jpg

This young fox was on 6 pics probably mousing

SUNP0289.jpg

SUNP0276.jpg

Cheeky rabbit

SUNP0245.jpg

Very interested rabbit

SUNP0206.jpg

Yet another munty that looks pregnant

SUNP0196.jpg

Lovely little youngster

SUNP0197.jpg

SUNP0184.jpg

I think this is the malformed buck from the shots taken a few weeks ago

SUNP0185.jpg

He's got a very distinctive scar on his right flank

SUNP0186.jpg

He got very curious

SUNP0180.jpg

SUNP0156.jpg

Surprised fox

Last edited:
Chris, about that buck. I may be completely wrong about this, and it wouldn't be the first time, but he looks old to me. The shape of his rump in the first picture and the way his ribs show through, it jsy made me think he was going back, or certainly struggling. There was no shine or plumpness to him.

If you know him as one of your regulars, then I apologise, but to me he just looks wrong.

Nice photo's though. It's amazing how may are looking at the camera, is this the noise, or the flash?

Simon

Sorry you may be right there Simon I meant to put that caption on the picture of the real youngster. The one with the scar does look like an old campaigner, I'll remove the tag.

I have quite a few shots were the subject is really interested in the camera, it doesn't use a flash but is infra red, the led's glow when it's activated so I guess its them they are seeing.

Cheers

Chris

Chris

Great pics - seriously impressed with the camera!

It will be interesting to get the views of others, but I was going to side with you on the buck's age. To me he doesn't seem to carry the profile of an older buck. He may just be in poor condition following a prolonged rut, but his neck and belly seem to lack the bulk I'd expect from an older animal. Likewise the lack of grey to his face and non-coalesced coronets also made me think he was younger.

But what do I know - there's a 50:50 chance of me being right ;) We'll only know for sure when you can post the photo of his teeth!

Would be interesting to know what caused the scar.

willie_gunn

Those are great pictures Chris. I was also interested to note that some of the animals are looking at the camera and I was inclined to suspect that something had drawn their attention to it before the "flash" had actually gone off i.e. they appear to actually have been looking at the camera before it took the photo. Does it make some small noise or something before it takes the shot? Or is it perhaps just the case that it takes 2 or 3 photos at a time and perhaps the first photo attracted the attention of the animal?

Those are great pictures Chris. I was also interested to note that some of the animals are looking at the camera and I was inclined to suspect that something had drawn their attention to it before the "flash" had actually gone off i.e. they appear to actually have been looking at the camera before it took the photo. Does it make some small noise or something before it takes the shot? Or is it perhaps just the case that it takes 2 or 3 photos at a time and perhaps the first photo attracted the attention of the animal?

I've set them to take a burst of 3 so they are probably looking at the IR led's lighting up, they make no noise at all.

Chris

Chris

Great pics - seriously impressed with the camera!

It will be interesting to get the views of others, but I was going to side with you on the buck's age. To me he doesn't seem to carry the profile of an older buck. He may just be in poor condition following a prolonged rut, but his neck and belly seem to lack the bulk I'd expect from an older animal. Likewise the lack of grey to his face and non-coalesced coronets also made me think he was younger.

But what do I know - there's a 50:50 chance of me being right ;) We'll only know for sure when you can post the photo of his teeth!

Would be interesting to know what caused the scar.

willie_gunn

I've tried to lighten these two up Dom to see better his face & antlers I also blew the head up a tad but cannot post that pic, looking closer you may be right.

I would be interested in others opinion.

ATB

Chris

SUNP0185-1-1.jpg

SUNP0184-1.jpg

Chris,

These are the best pics I have seen posted from a stealth cam - you have done a good job positioning the camera to get so many close-ups. I suspect these will make more people consider getting one.

Neal

Thats some cracking insight into whats about. the quality of the pics are excellent.

A great post chris, i would like to see more, and i'll definitely consider getting one myself.

not sure why but most animals look into the camera except boar, they never seem to concentrate like deer and foxes and even owls

PICT0003-1.jpg

PICT0009.jpg

PICT0027-2.jpg

PICT0122-1.jpg

PICT0092.jpg

PICT0083.jpg

PICT0060.jpg

PICT0026-2.jpg

The wildlife camera are great but you can come up with heaps of teadious photos to scan through before you get good images. My first go with them had loads of photos triggered by moving grass and leaves with the occassional wildlife shot. I've found it best to put them out for 24 hours set to take video, view the results and if there isn't a lot on there then set them, in the same position, to take a series of static pictures each time they are triggered.

Generally if they are set to video mode, and the memory card is full with videos of nothing in 24 hours, you either need to move the camera or get a trimmer out to the surrounding foliage that you have loads of video of swaying in the breeze.

I recently was asked to put mine in a chicken coup to see what was destroying the eggs. I did it on the same day as I lashed a large nodding owl to an adjacent fence post, I think the owl did the trick as I now have 9500+ photos of chickens in a nest box, and the owner collecting fresh eggs, that have been compiled in to a 19 minute video! Why a video I hear people ask? When you have 9500 static pictures of the same background to watch it is easier to combine them as video and you will pick up the the subtle changes, or not so subtle changes, as you watch the video play. It was an 8GB SD card in the 5MP camera!

Excellent piccies there, I enjoyed looking at them, they even got Mrs Trackpad interested so we're onto a winner there ;). Thanks for posting them.

Great pictures, I bought 2 cams last year for a little "poacher" watching but never fitted them.
Now the heat has dropped a little and he is less aware of my intent. I'm going to fit them next week....but will I post the photo's...perhaps? But he may be lurking on here somewhere!!!!!!:-|

i am seriously thinking on getting a couple to monitor some ground for "activity"!
suspect it won't just show deer!

Back