Who's shot the furthest north Muntie then

A friend of mine is keepering about 5 miles south of the Humber in North Lincs and he has them (although they are not shot).

Thanks for clarifying the situation PKL. Not good news for the chap concerned. To answer Stone's question, yes if they are tagged and therefore owned and identifiable with the property then the owner can be held responsible for damage. This was one of the big concerns with releases by the ALF. Most released deer will be back home voluntarily within a day or two; it's not often that they are not re-contained fairly quickly. However if they are out next to a motorway for example then the owner cannot afford the risk of traffic accidents caused by his animals and therefore they tend to get shot pdq which rather defeats the object of giving them their "freedom" in the first place. I believe the rules are different in Scotland.

A mate of mine had a small herd of reds on his farm, he was selling up and moving abroad, i went up to kill them for him, but suggested he just left the gate open:) he agreed it would be a good idea,but the farm is situated close to a main road,he quite simply wouldnt be able to live with himself if they caused an accident,not sure what the law would have to say about it:rolleyes:

Shot one just to the east of Lincoln and have seen many more in the area when have not had a rifle. Not seen any at home in north lincs yet.

I shoot on a pals farm near Penrith Eden valley all roe stalking, he has a pheasant shoot on there and the beaters often push large numbers of deer out of the woods, last winter with snow on the ground we seen plenty roe coming out and a muntjac run under the gate next to my mates wife, so its not a shot but I was very surprised at this.

can ya PM me the name of the shoot

Judging by the replies so far and talking to people in the know, as the eastern side of England is concerned - none further north than the Humber but then possibly some Ifor Williams delivered pockets north of Yorkshire, Teeside way on.

NorthYorkshire confirmed and unconfirmed sightings that I know of over the last 6years

• 5 years ago there was a report from a keeper that two had been seen on the Ripley castle estate
  • I have seen two in the grounds of Bolton castle in Wensleydale witnessed by a colleague with me
  • There is another report from a local of two being seen in alongside the Ure on the way Redmire.
  • Catterick DDM Group says there have been 4 unconfirmed sightings of munities "there was talk of one shot last year" The DDM Manager is convinced he has heard them when out Barking. "and has gone to print with this MOD conservation Mag "
  • I found one Dead on the side of the road on the A1 between Rippon turn off and Lemming Bar was witnessed by passenger in the car
http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co....hey-spread-into-yorkshire&highlight=catterick

Last edited:
My wife spotted what she thought was a munty on one of my permissions but I personally have not seen one up here in East Lancs yet. I would certainly welcome a shot or two at them if they appeared on my permissions!

ive had the odd one around darlington,i think they were introduced about 15 years ago and have a good foot hold but they get a hard time from the dog lads so there practically nocturnal

I have seen them on this ground also..

Hi Paul was working down your way a couple of weeks ago on the dormount estate they reckon there's muntjac there

Back