Thread: Venison long hunch fillet steak

Venison long hunch fillet steak

I just had the best, and I mean the best steak in my life. Here is what I did:

I took the long hunch fillet steak (fallow) and put it in a food grade bag (the ones you get from the supermarket to keep food in the freezer). In went some cracked steak pepper, sea salt flakes, olive oil, chilli flakes, dried rosemary and dried thyme. I shook the bag so the ingredients mix and cover the meat evenly and left it to marinade for about an hour.

I put the cast iron skillet on and when it was VERY hot I put the steak, 15-20 seconds each side so it is nicely sealed. I then 'butterflyied' the meat and cooked for a further 3 minutes each side.

Try it and you will not regret it. I am SO happy!

With a little variation in spices, this is how I cook whitetail and mule deer almost every time I have it. I don't butterfly them, just sear them and cook til med rare. Excellent! ~Muir

try a drizzle of this on top of veni steak, you only need a tiny bit

For the sauce1 leek, finely chopped
    1 shallots, finely chopped
    60g butter
    1 rasher of bacon, chopped
    bottle red wine
    3tbs redcurrant jelly
    400ml game/venison stock
    300ml port

8. For the sauce, soften the leek, shallots and bacon in 30g of the butter. Next add the wine and redcurrant jelly. Reduce this to a syrup and add the stock, reducing by half again.
    9. Finally, add the port before reducing it for the last time and, once it has reached a good consistency, finish it with the remaining butter. Season it to your taste and then strain it through a sieve.

I make a batch then freeze in ice cube tray and transfer to bag in freezer when done. 2 muntie back straps (one animal) needs one cube.

i prep almost all my game in the manner you suggest, makes all the difference.