Thread: Can i clean my rifle with what ive got?

Can i clean my rifle with what ive got?

Hello all i have some forrest bore cleaner foam, jags, brass brush, rod etc Is that all i need to clean my 243 as i havent any solvent to put through before or after i use the foam. Any tips would be appreciated

I would suggest that in order to keep the foam out of the action, you need a bore guide. See this earlier thread:

Once I have patched out the foam with clean dry patches, I will use wet patch, dry patch until I am happy the bore is clean. Currently I use Butch's Bore Shine.

Sometimes after finishing with the foam, I will apply a wet patch, let it sit for a few minutes, then scrub it with a brush, before cleaning with dry patches.

Regards JCS
    Last edited by jcampbellsmith; 04-09-2011 at 12:48. Reason: Sometimes .... added.

Seeing as how a bottle of nitro solvent is not expensive I wonder why you didn't pick some up?

Personally I use P-H 009 before using the bore foam to allow it to get to work on any metallic fouling and I don't foam unless I can see or believe metallic fouling to be building up. The nitro solvent is all that is required for general cleaning and then it depends on how much I have shot or what the weather was like. If wet I'll clean when I get home and gun has reached room temp. Of course there are other makes of nitro solvent to choose from.

Brit beat me to it. There are lots of solvents out there.***+19868+***

Until you pick up a solvent locally, a second round of foam won't go amiss.

Regards JCS

I don't do anything to my moderators apart from placing them in the airing cupboard and giving them a wipe with an oily rag before putting them away. Regards JCS.

My Wildcat P8 is strippable so yes it gets stripped an cleaned on a fairly regular basis butt hen i was shooting more rounds through it that a lot do in load development and on the range. It's had over 500 rounds through it of 25-06 and 6.5x55 and that's a lot of powder going through it.

Cleaned it not that much came out so spotless now. Tried to stop the wire brush turning on the rifling (not sure if i was suposed to) but anyway sorted. Not that i shoot much through it anyway cheers for the replies gents

You let the brush follow the rifling. Don't stop that; That's why they make cleaning rods that swivel.~Muir

Yes i realise that now. couldnt stop it anyway cheers