Bino Recomendations

unicorn71

With my 40th birthday fast approaching my fantastic wife (she might be reading this !) has
given me a budget of 550-600 to spend on some binos :D , so i am either looking at a pair
of secondhand swarovski's or a new pair of Bauer/Steiner/Minox, i can't decide which way
to go so would welcome suggestions on which is best or are there any other contenders ?
Thanks in advance U71

Secondhand Swarovski every time. Your budget is spot on. There will be plenty around shortly as people upgrade to the new rangefinder ones. Look on the birdwatching websites and shops. Glyn.

Just brought in a pair of Minox HG's from the states, 8.5x43, cost £300. They are the nuts.

I cannot say they are as good as Swaro's, but they are very close. I sat and compared them right up to dark against my Z6i scope set at 8x-9x. The scope was better, but not enough to justify an extra £1500 for Swaro bins, in fact, not enough to justify an extra £500.

Last edited:
used swarovski !!

They will be the last binos you will ever buy, Your children will also use them when you are too old.
And they will gain in value unlike other makes.

Whilst wishing to avoid sounding like a stuck record, go for the s/h Swarovskis. Every time you look through them you'll forget about the price. If you ever need to sell them you'll always be able to get your money back.

willie_gunn

Swarovski all day long, have a look at mcleods, they normally have a load of second hand bins in stock. Cheers Rich

minox 8x42 just as good.fantastic light gathering you will be suprised at the price new. look on ebay

Hi Brian,
I did something very similar to your test - with a very similar result/opinion. Mid range binos versus a high end scope - the scope won every time.
But when I compared a high end scope versus high end binos - the binos were the clear winners,
Thanks

Back