Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my new hawk , any falconers out there ?

my new hawk , any falconers out there ?

meet blue , my new ferugitail , ( redtail x feruggenous hybrid)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ferugitail.jpg  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	peri.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	5.8 KB 
ID:	9006was out with this beast last week a peri/gyr cross male cracking bird

lol ive done the falcon thing , i got fed up tracking the thing down after it chased a pigeon over 3 counties

just some friends out on the estate with their budgies not my first choice but nice to watch

Quote Originally Posted by Scots_stalker View Post
    interesting choice of bird i know a number of people that have had this cross and struggled with this cross i will be interested in your progress with her

that's some bird mate...
    relax ..... read the questions through carefully and don't forget the kitkats
    https://www.facebook.com/paul.adkins.169
    Welcome to Galloway Fieldsports | Galloway Field Sports

Quote Originally Posted by ash243 View Post
    interesting choice of bird i know a number of people that have had this cross and struggled with this cross i will be interested in your progress with her
    he certainly is taking his time being trained , stubborn as a mule

unfortunately the stubbornness is on the buzzard side of life we had a redtail and she was fantastic to fly

Quote Originally Posted by Scots_stalker View Post
    Hi Scots_stalker
    I have had falcons and hawks for around 26 years, I breed Goshawks and peregrines and peregrine/Hybrids.
    I have 3 young male goshawks left from this years breeding. good luck with the ferugitail, what game are you hunting with it.
    Regards
    Paul

Beautiful bird. What will the quarry be? I would guess the flight capabilities of the Ferruginous with the hunting strength of the Red Tail will be pretty effective.

I used to hunt Harris Hawks years ago - over ferrets for rabbits or walked up rabbits and pheasant in woodland. Fantastic fun and the unique pleasure of watching a pair of Harris Hawks hunting together never lessened.

Unfortunately, falconry - like Salmon fishing... and now deer stalking... - is something I don't really have the lifestyle (or cash!) to do often enough to begin to call myself anything other than an interested amateur. But for what it's worth, I believe they are all similar in being rooted in a love of the countryside and a passion for wildlife and conservation that is conveniently over looked by folk that would criticise me and others for pursuing these fieldsports. Some of the most memorable hunting flights I have experienced ended with a rabbit's rear end disappearing down a distant hole rather than ending up in the game bag but I suppose it would be boring if it was easy... bit like salmon fishing and stalking then?!
    On a related note I was called downstairs by the family the other day to dispose of a "big bird" that had just clattered into the conservatory. Not the blackbird I was expecting, but this female sparrowhawk!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sparrowhawk.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	415.6 KB 
ID:	9014

Shame, but a chance to give the girls (3 and 6) a close look at a beautul bird of prey. Never too young to get them interested and a bit more aware of the realities of nature and make sure they are not squeamish townies. It seems to be working as when I called home a few weeks ago to tell them Daddy had finally shot his first deer the 3 year old's first question was "did you shoot it in the head?" . Glad she is not berating me for killing Bambi but I will need to have a work about the ethics of headshots...