A-Tec or Roedale ????

Lads i'm looking to put a light weight moderator on my .270,the roedale lightweight and the a-tec seem to fit the bill,just wondering which of these aluminium cans are the best.Both come in around 200grams,which is nearly unbelievable.

Cheers...

Alb

I have an A-Tec and if i were you i would not buy one .

If they were £ 100 then yes they are good ! But mine gas cut with my .260, after 15 round's it looked used.

Can't speak for the Roedale not even seen one.

I have a ASE S5 and while it has more weight it still looks new. i would look at the new lighter ASE SL5

I have the ATEC on my 270 and I'm really pleased with it. I know there are several people that have spoken of gas cutting - perhaps I am a fortunate one.....
Looked at the Roedale, but have not tested one - customer service can apparently be ..... more challenging..... in some cases.

E t R

I have the ATEC on my .223 t3 light used over 300 rounds still in very good condition would buy one again well pleased:D

There seem to be very mixed reports, a good customer of mine just reported that he added one extra baffle on to his A-tec and
the mod has been working fine with 600 rounds 270 win, he mostly uses hornady factory stuff.
Others have to throw them away after a handfull of rounds???? don't believe it.
I have a few alu Roedale mods but have not more than maybe 250 rounds 223, 150 308 rounds and maybe 60 243 rounds through them.
Wear is at zero, I even use them at competitions with around 15 fairly fast shot rounds / run 243/308. (target up 3 sec/ every ~5 sec)

edi

Thanks for the replies,but I'm still none the wiser men,i've read very mixed reports on both moderators which is very strange,my rfd is reccomending the A-Tec but he dosn't stock the Roedale,so thats no real help, 300 quid is not to be sniffed at ,and i've read reports of the A-tec showing signs of burn after 15 rounds ?????

Thanks for the replies,but I'm still none the wiser men,i've read very mixed reports on both moderators which is very strange,my rfd is reccomending the A-Tec but he dosn't stock the Roedale,so thats no real help, 300 quid is not to be sniffed at ,and i've read reports of the A-tec showing signs of burn after 15 rounds ?????

Hi I had a cmm4 on a 308 and it was ok but I changed to an tec maxim and got the best of both worlds IMHO similar price £250 ish and only 370 gr in weight but with stainless steel baffle plates to eliminate the gas cutting modular in design and its over barrel as well to keep the rifle as short as possible brilliant!!!and well worth a look :thumb:

heres a link to a previous thread with some photos

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?26778-Atec-Maxim&highlight=tec+maxim

Last edited:
I too went for the Maxim on my 270. Dennis Groom at Jacksons suggested not stripping it down regularly for cleaning though as it can effect the performance if each time you do it it's not done up to the same tightness each time thereafter, if that makes sence. Now I just intend stripping it once a month to keep check on any gas cutting, nothing seen to date. In its modular form any worn parts can be changed. As a result I now have a mod which I am 100% happy with and one which balances my rifle well.

I have one on my .260. I can no longer strip it all the way but have put about 300 rounds or more through it so far.
Am sure it's cutting and there is lot's of carbon in there but it still works, it's light and doesn't upset the balance.

Not a bad piece of kit and I sincerely doubt they're cutting to the point of being unusable after 15 rounds!
To be honest, if you expected it to last as long as an ASE Northstar you're kidding yourself.

What about one of the Ti jobs from Lawrence or 3rd Eye Tactical?

They're both all alloy, so they WILL wear through gas cutting, particularly the second baffle. These can be replaced at a cost of about £17 each but don't actually need replacing until they have virtually worn down to nothing. I spoke to Jacksons at length about this recently - on rifles such as .270 you need to consider the baffles on all alloy moderators as wear items that will need replacing after a time. The actual length of time will depend on the calibre, load and usage. If you can't strip the mod' due to bonded threads, send it back to Jacksons and they'll do it.

On balance, that's a price I'm prepared to pay for a moderator that transforms the weight and balance of my favourite rifle. If not, choose a non- wear model instead. By the way, I can't see any difference between the CMM4 and the Roedale, or am I missing something?

A.

They're both all alloy, so they WILL wear through gas cutting, particularly the second baffle. These can be replaced at a cost of about £17 each but don't actually need replacing until they have virtually worn down to nothing. I spoke to Jacksons at length about this recently - on rifles such as .270 you need to consider the baffles on all alloy moderators as wear items that will need replacing after a time. The actual length of time will depend on the calibre, load and usage. If you can't strip the mod' due to bonded threads, send it back to Jacksons and they'll do it.

On balance, that's a price I'm prepared to pay for a moderator that transforms the weight and balance of my favourite rifle. If not, choose a non- wear model instead. By the way, I can't see any difference between the CMM4 and the Roedale, or am I missing something?

A.

Good to know, thanks.

Yes, but does it still work and how many rounds have you put through it to date?

Jabalihunter

Yes it still works fine ! All i am saying is that it has gas cut about 4 mm. Not as bad as some who have posted pic's on here. But the second and third baffle lost about 1.5 - 2 mm on the first 15 rounds of .260 rem. all of the baffles now show cutting.

The mod is Very well engineered and light but would i but another one ? Not for how expensive they are ! i would but a Steel mod either mild or stainless.

I was answering the question for some one spending in excess of £200

i have put about 30 rounds of .260 rem, 40 rounds of .22-250 and 90 rounds of .17 fireball

I have not said it was unuseable after 15 rounds !!!!! I said it looked used ! the little raised bits were erroded and it now has what looks abit like weld splatter on the flat bits inside.

Last edited:
Yes it still works fine ! All i am saying is that it has gas cut about 4 mm. Not as bad as some who have posted pic's on here. But the second and third baffle lost about 1.5 - 2 mm on the first 15 rounds of .260 rem. all of the baffles now show cutting.
Ouch! thanks for the info... that seems a lot for a .260.
I have one coming on a 6.5x47 but may regret my choice :( we'll see. Wanted a Lawrence but was advised against it by the maker.

Back