Gralloching knife

Sorry gents another newby to the knife making thing. I have made a couple using blanks but would like to start doing own blade. whats the best way to start angle etc.

paul

Done the roughing out of the handles for the master blade now. Needs a clean up and a final finish, but you get the idea. Almost looks like i knew what i was doing!:lol:

Attachments

• DSC00668.jpg
    DSC00668.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC00667.jpg
    DSC00667.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 25
Both blades are finished now and have taken a nice edge. The guy they're for wants a double sheath that can be worn as a dangler sheath and also with a normal belt loop. Just started laying the foundations for another set for myself!

Attachments

• DSC00677.JPG
    DSC00677.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC00676.JPG
    DSC00676.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC00674.JPG
    DSC00674.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 35
Latest project

Just finished shaping the handle on this knife, It's Barasingha antler. Blade needs a final polish and a sharpen, but it's mostly done now. Done this one for a game keeper, hope he likes it!

Attachments

• DSC00689.JPG
    DSC00689.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 17
Finally clad in cow as per the clients request! Took delivery on Wednesday, just needs to blood them now! Job Jobbed.:british:

Attachments

• DSC00702.jpg
    DSC00702.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC00700.jpg
    DSC00700.jpg
    338.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3663.jpg
    IMG_3663.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 21
Commissions

Hi all,

Apparently site admin have had a few complaints from people because i don't have trade membership. I can't understand why because i haven't actually advertised any of my knives for sale or said that i take commissions. All the knives I've put on here have been ones that I've done for friends and family and i posted them in the hope that I'd get some constructive criticism, but all I've had in the few comments that have been posted have been compliments.

To this end, and for the benefit of whoever sees me as competition enough to complain about my threads, i can't take commissions from the site.

All the best,

Nick

Good job you don't take on any more work,....... when would you get a bit of kip?, some really pretty stuff you are turning out, must be good to have such an artistic streak.

Good job you don't take on any more work,....... when would you get a bit of kip?, some really pretty stuff you are turning out, must be good to have such an artistic streak.

Anyone can do it mate, and it doesn't have to break the bank! There's loads of people out there in their garages turning out some really high quality work that ends up sitting in a drawer. I've got a tinkering nature and i just like making things. If i had had a chance i would have loved to have been a gun maker! The work that goes into hand built rifles is awesome.

Lovely knives, must find myself something in the future to replace the trusty Mora Clippers!! I know nothing about the type of steel or construction of a decent custom knife though.

Lovely knives, must find myself something in the future to replace the trusty Mora Clippers!! I know nothing about the type of steel or construction of a decent custom knife though.

Thanks Nelly,

A great majority of UK made custom knives are made in 01 tool steel which is a carbon steel. ATS34, 12C27, S30V, D2 etc etc are steels that are also used in knife making. I personally like a nice bit of honest 01, 4 or 3mm thick. It will rust if not looked after or left un used in a leather sheath for too long, but give it a wipe with camellia oil or renaissance wax now and again at it'll be fine. It's also one of the cheapest steels available.

hi nick

really nice knife set, you want to take lots o photo's of what youve done. advertise on ebay.com (usa site, or ebay.de, german site) if u sell on commision basis i.e. i think you will do alright.
commision based knives i america can be $2-3000.00 dollars
a1 is one of the best steels to work with, hardened to r59. the only others i would consider:-
440c nice to polish finish, can resharpen in the feild
D2 very hard to work, nice polish, can be very hard to sharpen, but holds edge well.
all above can be bought as blanks on ebay
the only other peice of advice would be to convex grind the blade (less resistance in use)

it has been a pleasure reading this thread, you are an excellant knifemaker with individual well thought out designs

thanks mike (knife collector)

really nice knife set, you want to take lots o photo's of what youve done. advertise on ebay.com (usa site, or ebay.de, german site) if u sell on commision basis i.e. i think you will do alright.
commision based knives i america can be $2-3000.00 dollars
a1 is one of the best steels to work with, hardened to r59. the only others i would consider:-
440c nice to polish finish, can resharpen in the feild
D2 very hard to work, nice polish, can be very hard to sharpen, but holds edge well.
all above can be bought as blanks on ebay
the only other peice of advice would be to convex grind the blade (less resistance in use)

it has been a pleasure reading this thread, you are an excellant knifemaker with individual well thought out designs

thanks mike (knife collector)

Mike i don't know what to say!:oops: Thank you very much for the compliments!

440C is another good steel as you've said. I'm sure a lot of the guys and girls on here will see it written into the steel of their everyday knives. I'm sure it was commonly called Surgical steel once upon a time? I've not used D2, partly because i haven't been able to source any, but more because it would be extremely hard to work with the tools I've got! There's at least two other guys on the forum that are turning out some really nice knives. Look up Chickenman and Roch.

Chickenman is turning out some interesting shapes with some fascinating handle materials, one looks like it may have scales made out of a bowling ball, quite funky and there's no chance it could be confused with anybody elses! He's using Kydex and leather sheaths, Kydex in particular being impervious to moisture and washable is an excellent material for stalking knives, being washable/sterilisable. From what i see great value for the money he's asking. He's also signed up to sell and has some knives ready to go.

Roch has a gallery full of some nice Damascus/pattern welded knives. I'm not sure how he's doing them, whether he's fabricating the steel himself or using blanks, but they all look nice and from what i remember have some nice dyed burl wood and mosaic pins. I'm sure they're excellent users and for a collector like yourself would also be pleasing to the eye. They've also got nice leatherwork with them. Not sure if he's selling them or not, but a quick search will show if he is.

The beauty of any of the knives being made by blokes on here is they've all been made by stalkers, and some amount of thought will have gone into them from a stalkers perspective, rather than a bushcrafter who likes thick chunky log splitting knives or a fisherman who'll want thin and flexible.

Back