Gralloching knife

digger9523

How do folks,

Just finished this little knife for a mate of mine. It's type needs no introduction.

Steel is 3mm 01 Tool steel, handle scales are Ivory linen micarta. Just needs an edge put on it and a makers mark.

It's going to be part of a pair, but I'm still doing the master blade.

Let me know what you think, all criticism/advice gratefully received.

All the best,
Nick

Attachments

• IMG_0234.jpg
    IMG_0234.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_0237.jpg
    IMG_0237.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 344
  • IMG_0240.jpg
    IMG_0240.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 239
Hi mate,

Very nice work as usual. I've just commissioned a similar set from Stuart Mitchell. 40th birthday present to myself.

I've just sold my .270 and I've lodged 133 rnds with my local rfd. I bought them cheap and you can have them even cheaper if they're any use to you.

Best wishes,
Glyn.

Hi mate,

Very nice work as usual. I've just commissioned a similar set from Stuart Mitchell. 40th birthday present to myself.

I've just sold my .270 and I've lodged 133 rnds with my local rfd. I bought them cheap and you can have them even cheaper if they're any use to you.

Best wishes,
Glyn.

Thanks mate,

I'll have those .270's off of you, I'll bell you about it. About time me and Peter came up for a look isn't it?

Be good to see you both. Did you say that Peter wanted to sell me that AI for what it cost him? Glyn

Some nice filework on the spine there.
Iv a stalking knife in carbon fibre and titanium made by Rob Bayley.
Still trying to bring myself to use it.

Really nice work Nick, i keep considering having a go at making my own knife,

Probably the best way to start is by putting your own handle on a shop bought blade.

Have a look at the Enzo range from Brisa. I use the fisher model as a larder knife, I handled it with orange G10 which was quite a hard material to work with but the result is good. Wood or antler is much easier to work with.

You might be supprised how easy the handleing part is, basic DIY plus alot of thinking about how to do it, measure twice, cut once and all that.

The real skill, i'm told, comes in making the blade but even that can't be too hard if Simmo can do it!

Glyn.

Probably the best way to start is by putting your own handle on a shop bought blade.

Have a look at the Enzo range from Brisa. I use the fisher model as a larder knife, I handled it with orange G10 which was quite a hard material to work with but the result is good. Wood or antler is much easier to work with.

You might be supprised how easy the handleing part is, basic DIY plus alot of thinking about how to do it, measure twice, cut once and all that.

The real skill, i'm told, comes in making the blade but even that can't be too hard if Simmo can do it!

Glyn.

Got it about right there mate!

Some of the bigger names in knife making also do blade blanks. They're well worth a look if you only want to do your own handle and sheath. You're getting the benefit of a custom makers steel work, but still putting your own stamp on it, and it's also a slightly cheaper way of getting a really top class blade.

Most of the work i do on knives is done with hand files into annealed steel, but Chickenman might have just made available to me a tool that will speed up the process somewhat, and allow me to explore some different styles of bevel.

I can't recommend having a go at your own knife enough. It may take months and months to do, but as stalkers we've all (mostly) got the right amount of patience, like the sort that keeps you sat in that high seat in the pi$$ing rain, to do something like it.

Thanks for having a look at the knife folks, hoping to give it a field trial soon.

All the best,
Nick

A few more pics here, some of the grallocher polished and with makers name next to the master blade pre handling.

Also included is one I'm thinking of calling a Highland grallocher, or Skian Gralloch! As you can see it's not very big, but it should be enough to open up a red on the hill. Let me know what you reckon.

Attachments

• IMG_0241.jpg
    IMG_0241.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0243.jpg
    IMG_0243.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 54
Nick what are the basic tools needed for knife making or what do you use,

Kindest regards

Garry

Nick what are the basic tools needed for knife making or what do you use,

Kindest regards

Garry

A picture paints a thousand words! Also, you'll need a drill of some kind. Steel can be found online, sometimes even on eBay!

Attachments

• IMG_0248.jpg
    IMG_0248.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
A picture paints a thousand words! Also, you'll need a drill of some kind. Steel can be found online, sometimes even on eBay!
Cheers for that mate, i have the same grinder so wont cost to much to setup, any knife making website you recommend to get me started,

Kindest regards
Garry

Youtube has been an invaluable resource for me mate, there's literally hundreds of videos on there that detail nearly every procedure there is in knife making, some good, some not so good!. There's also a few good forums to join, BritishBlades is one of my favourites for the subject. Alan Wood himself is a member, and now it's quite a large entity with people from all over the world sharing pictures and knowledge about their projects. The layout of the forum is nigh on identical to this one, so it's easy to navigate. Because i don't have the gear i have to contract out the heat treating to a guy in Devon.

Have a look about mate and get a knife made!

Garry

If you want a blade I can sort you out with one, will be better than the massed produced ones, cheaper and bloody sharp :D. If you want one give me a PM as I have just ground about 12 of different sizes and types.

Pete

Grinding a blade isnt that hard, its just a perfect parrarel grind takes practice and if you want to do alot of blades an outlay of money. But you can still have the fun, frustation at times and satisfaction with very few tools and what you can easily find on the internet.

Last edited:
Cheers for that Nick, i'll let you know how i get on with the new project:D and i will have a look at BritishBlades,

Thank you Pete PM inbound

Kindest regards
Garry

Back