nissan navara any ideas

bignoel

i have a 53 plate navara and it drives A1 lovely and comfy .but every now and again while driveing along the engine cuts out i roll to a stop turn her off and restart it and away i go for about another 5/6 weeks before it happens again anyone know what it could be causeing this .noel

Guessing it will have something to do with the fuel shut off on the fuel pump,perhaps shorting somewhere,mine loves sucking air though when the tanks low and your going down a steep hill but then its not easy to start again so wouldn't think its that.

The other thing that did cross my mind is the NATS,i think it acts as an immobiliser but i haven't really got a clue about it and wether it could cause any problems like that,i would check any wire terminals on the fuel pump first and just make sure there's no problems there.

Had a ford that did this not on time but on distance travelled usually about 70miles turned out to be a tiny hole in the fuel line causing a air lock it would start within five minutes and go on for another 70miles took months to solve as it would not do it in the workshop and by the time the fitter got to you it would start first time.

my money is on the EMs engine management system most cars have a crash detection system in these days to cut power to the fuel pump in the event of an accident. like anything wonderful while it is working but any number of sensors in the engine compartment and body work if it has full and side impact air bags can send this signal to the pump I had this on brother in-laws 51 plate TDI disco. far to many sensors to test and find and replace I found a guy at a local garage with diagnostic software he found the fault with his pc plugged in to the ems Via its fault report took it home i ordered the new sensor change the the offending part no more cutting out problem

Hope for your sake its not the fuel pump,big money to sort,there is also some chip on top of some models of pumps,hopefully its just that but if its the pump you could be looking at a rather large bill:cry:
The way she resets herself after being turned off suggests it could be something to do with your engine management chip,not a mechanic though so just going on past experience with an isuzu i had
When driving up hills does it lose power and then come to a stop?

Last edited:
Best to get someone to check the system for any faults recorded by the engine management system. The fact that it cuts the engine but once you cycle the ignition it starts again would indicate a fault with the electrical side of things, perhaps a crank sensor failing. The next time it does it, while you are still on the move switch the ignition off and then on again (don't take the key out!!) if it's a sporadic electrical fault it'll probably fire up again and run so you won't have to pull over.

One things for sure, get it checked out because somethings about to go and when it does you won't be able to start it again!

Might be worth sticking the fault in google, it may be a known problem and you could pick up some info on it.

My thoughts are with the EMS however I have a 55 plate D22 model and I had a problem whereby the ignition lights would flicker on and it would either cut out or run very rough.
This would happen every couple of days.
Despite it having just been serviced, it was problems with the fuel filter. I replaced it and there was all sorts of gunk in the filter housing.
Easy to check yourself and rather than loosen the filter housing using a special tool, its very easy to remove the whole housing thingy after disconnecting the fuel lines.
Worth a try as its only a 5 min job and very easy to do.
Hope you get it sorted.
Bob

she is in for a mot tuesday i think i,ll ask them to run a test on the EMS .then the fuel filter test .cheers guys let ye know the out come .

Shouldn't worry about the fuel filter you'd be running a bit rough if its starting to block,easily changed and available as an aftermarket spare so worth changing but your problem has something to do with the fuel supply being cut off if its running ok rest of the time,if it was an air leak it wouldn't start so easily again,i've had mine nearly 10 yrs from new now and didn't ever think it might have a EMS,just more cr@p to go wrong.

Had a Nissan Patrol 6 cyl, that would cut out. Was an aftermarket alarm system that was fitted with
bad connections. Threw out the alrm, all perfect for years.
edi

Nissan engine problems

This may or may not be of use. My Mitsubishi L200 is afected by mobile phone masts causing the engine management light to activate and prevent any acceleration. The warning light clears after switching off the ignition and re-starting. It seems this is common to that model. My brother has a Range Rover and lives near a mobile phone mast which activates his door locks since it started transmitting G3 signals, he always ensures he has the ignition keys on his person when outside the vehicle.

I got 03 x trail and had a similar problem cruising at 80 mph lost power down to idle and once on computer turns out new accelerator pedal and sensor needed. Previous t that had it cutting out and juddering as about to cut out. That was exhaust gas regulation valve needed opening up and cleaning. Hope this helps.

Foxandhound in post 14 may be on the right lines if this always happens in the same area.
I had an Imprezza Turbo which would not restart if switched off in a certain locality.
It turned out to be an interaction between a police tetra mast and a mobile phone mast.Once the car was towed 100yards along the road it started on the key every time.

Foxandhound in post 14 may be on the right lines if this always happens in the same area.
I had an Imprezza Turbo which would not restart if switched off in a certain locality.
It turned out to be an interaction between a police tetra mast and a mobile phone mast.Once the car was towed 100yards along the road it started on the key every time.

Now I'm guessing you stopped parking there:lol:

Hi bignoel

Where abouts are you bud? pm me if you prefer

I am just about to pick up some diagnostic equipment that will possibly help point you in the right direction

Its an expensive game putting it into a garage that doesnt properly diagnose the problem and just replaces parts adhoc

Good luck

Terry

Back