Game dealer payments

limulus

On 28th July I shot a nice buck on some ground local to me near Preston.
I took the carcass to Mr Ian Banks at Eaves Green Game dealers in Goosnargh. Ian wasnt on site at the time so I spoke to him on his mobile and he confirmed he wanted the carcass and we agreed a price of £35.00 (based on approx weight as their scales where off for repair). I left the carcass with one of his employees and left without a receipt (I know hindsight is the best sight of all)
Despite passing on my bank details and trying to contact Mr Banks several times he still hasnt paid me.
I'm not sure where I'd stand making a small claims court action to recover the money (its become a principle matter now more than anything).
What would/can you do in circumstances like this?

As you say (it's become a principle matter now more than anything)---put it behing you, learn from it but don't let it take up any more of your time, things like this can grind you down and occupy your mind when you could be getting on with better times..

Last edited:
Forget it I think, I know its the principal but its only £35 I lost about £400 to a game dealer 6 years ago he went bust
pursued it but never got my money, especially annoying when I saw him quite often, living a lifestyle I could only dream
of.

Put it down to experience its just not worth the energy chasing such an amount, i know it eats at you but just move on and Remember!!!

You could remind him that he owes you it again in writing and suggest that you may ask the local council to check his records for food traceability of the animal in question on their next inspection of his premises. I reckon you will soon have your money!
MS;)

What can one say Limulus,for £35 it's not worth the hassle. ( the learning curve I'm afraid, you know the next time !)

Think of it as one that got away, if it makes it any easier.

Rgds, Buck.

Galling though it is, the small claims court would only leave you more out of pocket than you are already. (As I understand it, costs cannot be recovered from the defendant.)

Might be worth getting in touch with trading standards.

As a lawyer I'd advise doing as the above say. It's a pain in the arse jumping through all the loopholes to get the thing to court and then how are you going the prove you ever took the deer to him. And you would not believe the stress it will cause in your life. I just bought a wiper motor for my car via breakers on internet and they sent me the wrong one. Despite speaking to them 3 times and them promising to get back to me i'm not going to pursue it. I'm £65 light and believe it or not i cant afford to loose it) but I know it's not worth the hassle, and i know the ropes, so i'm just gona let the barstewards get away with it

If you do decide to go for it pm me and i'll see if i can help

ATB

Andrew

Things like that really hurt, my friends and i lost £1600 from a game dealer who went bust , probably the same one mentioned earlier and ended up only getting pennies in the pound back.What is galling is that he went off to holiday in France to miss the flack and is now back in the same business with no shame at all.

I have sent a letter asking for payment some weeks ago and Ive since spoken to one of his employees who says he'll try and sort it out.
I have no qualms about going through the small claims process but I will try trading standards first if I dont receive the money next week.
Its amazing how many websites you can join and leave feedback about companies these days too.
The term Jack Russel and favourite slipper springs to mind

Forgot to add I'm amazed at how many of our friends 'norf of da border' advise not pursuing this :)

Last edited:
It is not easy but if you leave something and it is not traceable then it is your fault. Make sure you tag your deer with all the details and get a receipt. Small claims might be the way to go but as has already been said it really dose not look like you have a leg to stand on. The burden of proof will be on you as it was your deer.May i ask why you did not ask for a reciept or cash at the time you took it.

Forgot to add I'm amazed at how many of our friends 'norf of da border' advise not pursuing this :)[/QUOTE]

Sorry but not sure where this comes from.... you asked and we gave what we thought was the best advise, you might not like it but it all started with you making the first mistake and not getting a receipt.

Hi All
Sorry getting your own back is not stressfull it is fun, somebody hurts me and they get the hurt back tenfold. I cannot believe the number of people saying let it go, I would not be able to sleep at night if someone ripped me off and i did nothing about it
Geordie

Thanks for all the advise gents.
Face to face means a 60 mile round trip, would be even more wasteful of my time and fuel to go this route.
I'm hoping to stalk up that way next week so might take the opportunity then.
It really is a case of hindsight being the best and a not too expensive lesson in not trusting some folk that should be trustworthy.

hi,i have left carcasses with the game dealer before,not yours though,and they can be left in the chiller for some time before getting procesed , many a time it has been a couple of momths before i get a draw, but the cheque allways comes ,hope you sort it out ,its a bitter pill when some one ripps you off !

Trading Standards would be interested in the concept of dealing in a product by weight without a calibrated set of scales on the premises?

I've had a few close shaves with gamedealers over the years, and lost some money, but i'm afraid thats the nature of the beast.

I think a lot of the battle is won or lost in the way you deal with the buyer. If you are only taking in the odd carcass and looking to 'get rid' of it then stand by to be ripped off in some way sooner or later.

If you are able to have prime carcasses collected in reasonable numbers then you hold the cards, any hint of a failure to pay for previous loads and the driver goes away with an empty van, you only need to do this once especially if the saddles were meant to be in London restruants twelve hours later!

Glyn.

It really is a case of hindsight being the best and a not too expensive lesson in not trusting some folk that should be trustworthy.

Sadly, such people do operate within the sporting sphere, but do the various organisations make any attempts to protect their members from these charlatans? No, they do not and neither are they interested in implementing any voluntary safeguards that might serve to offer some protection to the trusting sportsman. Makes you wonder what they mean when they claim self regulation is the best way forward.

Back