I wish I had a deer dog!!

270Buck

I was out on one of my grounds this morning, I was sitting about 80 yards from the woods.

A small muntjac buck stepped out of the woods at about 6.30am, did not get ready for the shot quick enough and he disappeared from sight!! I thought my chance had gone!!!

A few minutes later he reappeared no more than 30 yards in front of me. He stood broadside and I aimed at the the heart and lungs, a bit low with hindsight as I had not accounted for the very low range!!! Nonetheless he reacted to the shot as predicted with his back legs kicking out.

He ran for cover and came directly to my position where I was sat in the hedge. He spotted me move and made his way back in the direction of the boundary along a double hedge thick with brambles and blackthorn!!!:scared:

I had a smoke and waited the customary 5 minutes. I went to where the strike mark should have been and no paint and pins!!! So I looked in the hedge where I had last seen him, there was lots of arterial blood so I knew I had hit him well. I looked as far as I could but as he went directly into the brambles and blackthorn, I knew it would be difficult to find without a dog. Problem is I don't have a deer dog!!

I know a good friend whom I met on the SD who has a young GWP, I text him at about 7am. He was also out stalking but was about 40 minutes away. Unfortunately I had a prior engagement which would have taken me up to midday so I arranged for him to come to my house then and we would start the search again.

He arrived at 12.00, we jumped in his truck with one of my 6 year old twin daughters and went back to the point where I found some blood.

He worked his GWP and within 2 minutes he had found him stone cold dead tucked very deeply into the brambles no more than 2 foot from the edge of the double hedge. The first question my daughter asked was "Why is he sticking his tongue out?"

Unfortunately the flies had been at work, his fur and entry and exit wounds were laden with eggs. A quick gralloch and back home to tidy him up.

Moral of the story is if you don't have a deer dog, always have a back up plan if you do lose a deer!!

If it was not for the SD I would not have met this member I would have possibly lost the deer which is no good for anyone.

On my Christmas list this year is a deer dog!!

"A dog is for finding deer, not just for Christmas"

Cheers

Ross

Last edited:
Good Result!. Just out of interest, you mention the dog was young. Was it trained or did you just rely on its instinct to find the deer?

It has been trained to find deer.

When I was out with the same friend the same GWP found 2 sika that had ran into thick bracken, they would have been very hard to find if not impossible without him. So he does have previous.

Cheers

Ross

ross some very good points made .
I wouldent be without my GWP now adds a whole new dimension to my stalking
well done on the follow up . regards pete

i think the forestry will soon make it compulsory on there leases that you will need a dog for locating wounded deer.a bit of a >@:~_* if you only stalk 5 or 6 times a year,by the way ross my mate tikk 308 has a trained brittany for sale if your interested:thumb:
atb john d

Nice one Ross

Thar is defo turning out to be a great choice of dog, shame about the owner he just needs a bit more training:D:D

Nice one Ross

Thar is defo turning out to be a great choice of dog, shame about the owner he just needs a bit more training:D:D

I am glad that I have D not too far away from me.

I am sure we will come back with some stories from Germany next week!!

When I am at my ground near you next time, we will have meet up for a chat and stalk. I heard about your unfortunate news!!!!

Cheers

Ross

Since getting a GWP I've seen more deer than I ever did before. My lab is good but the GWP beats her paws down. Well done on the recovery, I bet you were relieved to find it.

Since getting a GWP I've seen more deer than I ever did before. My lab is good but the GWP beats her paws down. Well done on the recovery, I bet you were relieved to find it.

Very relieved indeed.

This was the first deer I have shot off this ground and I was worried that it would be the first lost deer I have ever had!!!

Cheers

Ross

Ross
Great to hear “D” GWP is getting some work, Stone owner needs some training,:lol:
Have fun in Germany you chaps, tell “D” I will keep an eye on the stags for him while he is away.;)

ATB

Tahr

I was out on one of my grounds this morning, I was sitting about 80 yards from the woods.

A small muntjac buck stepped out of the woods at about 6.30am, did not get ready for the shot quick enough and he disappeared from sight!! I thought my chance had gone!!!

A few minutes later he reappeared no more than 30 yards in front of me. He stood broadside and I aimed at the the heart and lungs, a bit low with hindsight as I had not accounted for the very low range!!! Nonetheless he reacted to the shot as predicted with his back legs kicking out.

He ran for cover and came directly to my position where I was sat in the hedge. He spotted me move and made his way back in the direction of the boundary along a double hedge thick with brambles and blackthorn!!!:scared:

I had a smoke and waited the customary 5 minutes. I went to where the strike mark should have been and no paint and pins!!! So I looked in the hedge where I had last seen him, there was lots of arterial blood so I knew I had hit him well. I looked as far as I could but as he went directly into the brambles and blackthorn, I knew it would be difficult to find without a dog. Problem is I don't have a deer dog!!

I know a good friend whom I met on the SD who has a young GWP, I text him at about 7am. He was also out stalking but was about 40 minutes away. Unfortunately I had a prior engagement which would have taken me up to midday so I arranged for him to come to my house then and we would start the search again.

He arrived at 12.00, we jumped in his truck with one of my 6 year old twin daughters and went back to the point where I found some blood.

He worked his GWP and within 2 minutes he had found him stone cold dead tucked very deeply into the brambles no more than 2 foot from the edge of the double hedge. The first question my daughter asked was "Why is he sticking his tongue out?"

Unfortunately the flies had been at work, his fur and entry and exit wounds were laden with eggs. A quick gralloch and back home to tidy him up.

Moral of the story is if you don't have a deer dog, always have a back up plan if you do lose a deer!!

If it was not for the SD I would not have met this member I would have possibly lost the deer which is no good for anyone.

On my Christmas list this year is a deer dog!!

"A dog is for finding deer, not just for Christmas"

Cheers

Ross

Does this website not have a list somewhere of members with dogs that are prepared to help? I looked but could not find it. Does somebody know?

Does this website not have a list somewhere of members with dogs that are prepared to help? I looked but could not find it. Does somebody know?

Hiya Baron,look under a profile,you see the little dog,click on it and it will bring you onto the deer dog register of whoevers profile you've clicked on

I am glad that I have D not too far away from me.

I am sure we will come back with some stories from Germany next week!!

When I am at my ground near you next time, we will have meet up for a chat and stalk. I heard about your unfortunate news!!!!

Cheers

Ross

Yep
He is a good lad , infact you would be hard pressed to find better;)
I do hope you all hav a great time in Germany

Tahr
I will let him know you are looking after them for him:lol:

Yep
He is a good lad , infact you would be hard pressed to find better;)
I do hope you all hav a great time in Germany

Tahr
I will let him know you are looking after them for him:lol:

He is a top bloke and I hope he comes back with his his first wild boar!!!

We will let you know how we get on.

Thar,

Save some red for me when I visit later in the year.

Cheers

Ross

i think the forestry will soon make it compulsory on there leases that you will need a dog for locating wounded deer.a bit of a >@:~_* if you only stalk 5 or 6 times a year

Shouldn't be a problem as you wouldn't need to have a dog of your own - just access to a dog if it proves neccessary.

That's the way the SD Deer Dog Register should work - look for a member in the area that has the dog and track logo against his/her user name and make contact via pm. Thereafter details can be exchanged and availability established. I'm sure some worthwhile contacts can be made that way.

You can always boast that you have your own 'dog man' as well! :D

Last edited:
The electronic "game finder" google it.
Works pretty good on short searches. I have 2 and they eat less than dogs do.
Regards
Martin

Back