.260 rem

I look at this from a slightly different angle.

If someone was setting out today to design a 6.5mm cartridge, would they come up with a cartridge like the Swede? Odd length. Odd head diameter. Long throat. Low operating pressures, too big for a short action, doesn't really make full use of a 30/06 sized action.... etc etc.

Or would they just stick a 6.5mm bullet on the most common and efficient case design of the last 60 years?

Face it, the Swede is an inefficient and obsolete design.

I would not take a 6.5 to a boar for a bet. If I feel the need to throw heavier bullets around, ie 150gr and up, there are much better ways of doing this - that is what the 30/06 was invented for....

:stir:

exactly what is odd about the Swedish cartridge?

is it any odder than say the 6.5x47?

As for the 30-06 that was developed from the Mauser 57mm case but in 1903 the American powders were not as advanced as those in Europe and so to even get near the excellent ballistic performance of the 8mm Mauser they had to make the case longer and even then to keep chamber pressures sensible the 150 grain bullet only had a muzzle velocity of 2700 fps against the the 8mm's 154 grain bullet at 2950fps which was adopted in 1905. The original 1903 30-03 used 220 Grain bullet and the pre 1905 8MM Mauser a 227 grain bullet. The 30-03 cartridge was a bit longer too.

The 30-06 was not and invention but a development of an existing cartridge for which America paid Mauser royalties.

Oh yes the .260 Rem is a 51mm case length the Swedish 55mm which is 4mm or if you like approx 3/16" which ia quite a ways from the 1/2" mentioned in this thread.

As for the .260 Rem fitting short actions............................................ Nope :rolleyes: it fits medium actions short actions take .222 Rem/22 Hornet length cases ;)

As for long throats well i have yet to actually see better precision on targt and better grouping by having a bullet seated close to the leade/throat. In my own experience I get better groups and precision upon target with some bullet jump. In fact in my 30-30 Bolt action which was throated to suit 170 grn Winchester factory ammuniton the 130 grain Hornady SP I use cannot be seated out long enough to get anywhere near the leade yet it and i have shot a fair few 3 shot one hole groups over the years. Like wise the sporterised Swedish Mauser with it military barrel shoots the Speer 120 grain bullets very well but f course there is now way you can seat them to the leade.

I also found that better precision/grouping was obtained with my 7x57 and the 139 Grn Hornady BTSP witht he bullet seated deeper into the case. In fact by seating it about 1/16" deeper into the neck the group size halved. Again in the P-H 1100 Lwt in .308 Win the Hornady 130 grn SP shoots very well and of course it cannot be seated to the leade either.

Now I don't really give a toss what they do in bench rest as it has about about as much use in normal stalking/sporting rifles as Formula One does to an every day car and let's face a formula one car is useless as a daily driver :lol:.

Today's cartridges have less taper which has been proven to reduce back thrust on the breech face. However they do require more careful fitting if they are to feed from a staggered Mauser type magazine properly which is why a lot of "Modern" rifles have gone back to straight line feeding magazines like those found in the original Lee Mk1 rifle.

sportsman where selling them cheap at the cla --half price- that is because they canot shift them in the usa,remmington are ceasing production of the .260 round according to guns and ammo.get a swede

sportsman where selling them cheap at the cla --half price- that is because they canot shift them in the usa,remmington are ceasing production of the .260 round according to guns and ammo.get a swede
they did try a sell me a 260 not too hard a sell ,i brought a swede just picked it up today ,got some 120 gr norma ammo that weather permitting i will give a go in the am .:D

Worse News i'm affraid !!

Remington no longer chamber a RIFLE in 6.5x55 according to remington website.

their loss. the 6.5 in any guise has never been big accross the pond.
I wouldn't have a remmy given anyway.
finnish rifles for me.
sako/tikka chamber both calibres.
think if you looked at ALL manufacturers most WILL chamber the x55 and NOT the .260
p.s. I would have a .260 bet its a good calibre but I have a x55 and it shoots all bullet weights fine.
I am not interested in saving 1/2 an inch on the bolt or 4-5 grs of powder.

Last edited:
You'll never notice the difference in the field! Buy the one in the rifle that you like the best. capt david

not in the field, but a x55 owner will NEVER be cool on The Stalking Directory, but then again, nor will a remmy user, someone who over-camo's, or someone who posts as much as me!:doh:

So? :?: It would actually surprise me if Remington went the same was a USRC (Winchester) and the dodo. After all they have been operating with their heads in the sands for decades.

It would be a shame for a historically important arms maker to go under but with the management they have had and have it's only a matter of time.

not in the field, but a x55 owner will NEVER be cool on The Stalking Directory, but then again, nor will a remmy user, someone who over-camo's, or someone who posts as much as me!:doh:
blimy i have a x55 ,a remmy and x2 steyr s but i dont use camo not much anyhow .....:D

blimy i have a x55 ,a remmy and x2 steyr s but i dont use camo not much anyhow .....:D
Oh dear!, along with Sako's, Howa's, PH's,Tikka's etc, I also have a couple Remmy's.... wear camouflage, (sometimes)... & Posts, well I'll leave that one up to those who have commented previously on that ........ COOL? as long as my body temp suits the stalking, Result.:cool:

their loss. the 6.5 in any guise has never been big accross the pond.
I wouldn't have a remmy given anyway.
finnish rifles for me.
sako/tikka chamber both calibres.
think if you looked at ALL manufacturers most WILL chamber the x55 and NOT the .260
p.s. I would have a .260 bet its a good calibre but I have a x55 and it shoots all bullet weights fine.
I am not interested in saving 1/2 an inch on the bolt or 4-5 grs of powder.

Interesting the Browning X-Bolt doesn't come in the Swede either. :-|

Honestly guys other than elvis ( the king ) what good ever came out of america ?

Hmmm I can thing of several things ........................... like Polycarbonate, the telephone and of course proper Rock'n'roll Music :D

Not sure of your source of info there mate, unless it's an article from the early 90's. Lapua have just picked up production of .260 brass. Something they've not done lightly due to their own 6.5x47 cartridge.

Add to this the fact that Steyr, Tikka, Sako, the mainstay euro manufacturers have picked it up.

I'm not saying it's the greatest thing since the last greatest thing but I'd remind you that once upon a time there were people saying the .243 would never take off. After all, it's just a necked down .308 and what's the point in that?? :)

Back