Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do we have here then?

What do we have here then?

Ok. this is i think 50cal, it weighs in at a whopping 681gn, before i say what i think it's from, anyone recognise it? as a clue its so hard you cannot file it and about 70yrs old so i've been told.
    Attachment 9110

from M2 machine gun

Originally thought it might be .55 BOYS AT round but I don't think they were boat tail & usually weighed in around a massive 930gn.

Guess its a .50 BMG

Life should be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving skidding in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

SD Regular
    Herefordshire, Hampshire or Essex
    Ack Ack? - Swedish - Aerlikon (or something like that)

Or is it a Spitfire or Hurricane cannon Armour piercing round - 70yrs would make it about right for Battle of Britain......not a 'Kraut' round is it? And it would be right for your neck of the woods....
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Just used the vernier to check the dimension against the 20 pence coin and comes out spot on 50 cal, so guess its an AP round from a Browning. (Spitfire and hurricane fitted with 303, 14mm and 20mm I think)

I was told by the guy that picked it up whilst metal detecting that it came from the crash site of an american fortress bomber that pancaked not far from canturbury in kent.
    The metal looks just like bronze but the guy tried to drill a hole in one to hang on a keyring, he could not find a drill to touch it? so whats it made of?

Quote Originally Posted by TikkaT3 View Post
    so whats it made of?

some hard-ass-sheeite dude!

no really, I bet Muir will come up with a good answer, or BritH will extrapolate giving a nice bit of history, probably linking to PH or BSA! am I right Kev? :-)

I believe it may be a standard 50BMG AP round from WW2, these were used in the M2HB as fitted to the B52s.

In WW2 they used a steel core with a very thick Cupronickel jacket

So try a magnet!

The Cupronickel used then was full of iron and manganese, so quite hard (harder than you would expect).

680 gr was also the standard bullet weight

Modern sniper bullets tend to be circ 707 gr (706.7 I think), but long range target shooters use 750 gr (Lapua or A-max)

Just watch out if you try to drill it aircraft ammo was often loaded 1 tracer, 1 ball ,1 armour piercing, 1 incendery on the link or in the case of .303 Brownings on RAF planes each gun was loaded with a belt of each type of ammo (4 guns per wing on a spitfirer/Hurricanes) . The . 50 cal (12.7mm) Browning was the main armourment of the USAF bomber's of ww2 with a uprated rate of fire to around 1,250 rpm the weight of the Bullet is about right for the Ma Duce(M2)

"a man does good business when he rids himself of a turd"

Julie's right manganeze steel is a real bi**h to drill even with tipped bits extreme force is required to get through it!