What do we have here then?

Originally thought it might be .55 BOYS AT round but I don't think they were boat tail & usually weighed in around a massive 930gn.

Guess its a .50 BMG

Chris

Ack Ack? - Swedish - Aerlikon (or something like that)

Or is it a Spitfire or Hurricane cannon Armour piercing round - 70yrs would make it about right for Battle of Britain......not a 'Kraut' round is it? And it would be right for your neck of the woods....

Just used the vernier to check the dimension against the 20 pence coin and comes out spot on 50 cal, so guess its an AP round from a Browning. (Spitfire and hurricane fitted with 303, 14mm and 20mm I think)

I was told by the guy that picked it up whilst metal detecting that it came from the crash site of an american fortress bomber that pancaked not far from canturbury in kent.
The metal looks just like bronze but the guy tried to drill a hole in one to hang on a keyring, he could not find a drill to touch it? so whats it made of?

Tikkat3

I believe it may be a standard 50BMG AP round from WW2, these were used in the M2HB as fitted to the B52s.

In WW2 they used a steel core with a very thick Cupronickel jacket

So try a magnet!

The Cupronickel used then was full of iron and manganese, so quite hard (harder than you would expect).

680 gr was also the standard bullet weight

Modern sniper bullets tend to be circ 707 gr (706.7 I think), but long range target shooters use 750 gr (Lapua or A-max)

Julie

Just watch out if you try to drill it aircraft ammo was often loaded 1 tracer, 1 ball ,1 armour piercing, 1 incendery on the link or in the case of .303 Brownings on RAF planes each gun was loaded with a belt of each type of ammo (4 guns per wing on a spitfirer/Hurricanes) . The . 50 cal (12.7mm) Browning was the main armourment of the USAF bomber's of ww2 with a uprated rate of fire to around 1,250 rpm the weight of the Bullet is about right for the Ma Duce(M2)

Bob

That 50 cal bullet looks like it has rifling marks in it? Odd therefore to be found on or near the crash site of an American plane. Found several of these in the past around Kent and assume that they have failed to hit a target and simply fallen from the sky as the bullets have been undamaged save for the rifling marks.

Back