Duck flighting seat?

RED-DOT

I have just rented a great duck pond near Stirling and it has not been fed or shot for three years... Any advice?
We shot it last Saturday and found kneeling in a hide restrictive and i would appreciate any advice on a good shooting stick that maybe rotates but not the £35 plastic bucket type?
Thanks.

but not the £35 plastic bucket type?
Thanks.

Why not Red, they work well in pigeon hide (plenty of storage) ?

or are you a Heavy weight. ;)

Atb, Buck.

PS. The trouble with the stick seat is they always sink if on soft ground.

Last edited:
£35 for a 5 gallon drum with a pad on the top seems crazy. I shoot really badly sitting or kneeling plus duck have to be looked for constantly to get a chance of a shot.

Get yourself one of these and hopefully you'll not get a chance to sit!!

best of luck with the duck!!

Rgds, Buck.

Just build your duck butts tall enough that you can stand, add a post and rail seat at the back if you feel you need to take the weight off your legs, if you are talking about evening flight they dont last that long so standing for that period of time should not be a problem, especially if there are plenty duck about.

For years I have use a "Directors Chair" for both pigeon and duck shooting.
It folds up easy for storage in both the car or shed and does not sink in soft ground.
I got mines from Crockets in Glasgow for £30.00 and would not be without it.
If enquiring ask for Robert Spiers.

Regards

DavieH

A directors chair, seriously, you're going to kill me! I didn't realise this had become an armchair sport! :rofl:

just fooling around guys..seriuosly though, just build a couple of seats, fire two half fence poles in to the ground 2ft apart, and knock a sitting board on top, then plant a few tall willow shoots in front/around which you can trim down to desired hight every year, and since its a wetland, willow cuttings can be stuck straight in the ground and are likely to catch on.

I am of an age that comfort is important, but does not retract from the enjoyment of the sport.

ATB

DavieH

Great replies, i think i will make another hide as i take a guest every outing and i will add the seat in the hide as a permanent fixture... Thanks.

I've seen 1000L IBC water tanks converted to duck flighting butts. cut the tank itself out, keep the steel frame, build a wooden seat inside and cut a small door way slot, then plant around/through the steel frameword. a year or two later you have a very well covered shooting platform that will always retain its structure.

I personally enjoy just the simple wooden seat with some willow plants in front, which can also be seen with ramblers enjoying sanwiches on them at times, watching the ducks on the pond - LOL..

I ask my local indian restaurant to save me chutney barrels. They are very solid, don't sink and you can shove nets and things into them to carry. Cost £nil.

David

That is the sort of thing. A quick rub over with sandpaper and a spray with green and brown (da Vinci eat your heart out) and they are camo as well.

david.

Well i went out flighting last night... sore knees, blood draining from my feet then a few fast and low mallards came from behind and i stood up and my legs gave way as they were number than Dale Wintons ass... time to get the mell and 4x4 timbers out..

Stobs and slabs from sawmill, have used pallets in the past not quite high enough but stick a bit of broom or some such in the top and they do fine.

Will send you a pic of a seat i use on the estuary when im duck flighting, sounds just what you might be looking for . DF

put 100 ducklings out on the pond this year, future stock sort of thing. They're working so well as decoys for the wild ducks though, this morning, I had nearly 200 on my pond, probably taking up 50% of the water surface!!!! duck flighting coming up soon!

Here you are Red dot , a lad in a local plastic's factory makes them.
The short spiggot goes into the ground , the shape of the seat makes it a doddle to spin round .

I have hasd numerous seats over the years , but this is deffo the lightest and best.

DSC00266.jpg

DSC00265-1.jpg

DSC00267.jpg

Back