Sako 156g Legal in Scotland?

Gully

Can someone check my sums for me. When I bought my rifle (6.5x55) the RFD had a load of Sako 156g ammo that he wanted to get rid of so gave them to me very cheap but warned me that it wasn't legal for deer in Scotland. I remember checking this at the time and thinking he was right. I've just come back to it and according to Sako's website the MV of this ammo is 800 m/s which I now calculate as being 2624ft/sec so it is legal.

Two possible things have happened. -
1. When I checked it I thought the minimum MV was 2650 not 2450 - this is quite possible given my numerical dyslexia.
2. Sako have changed the ammo.

Can someone please tell me I'm right in thinking it IS legal?

For roe deer, where the bullet must weigh at least 50 grains AND have a minimum muzzle velocity of 2,450 feet per second AND a minimum muzzle energy of 1,000 foot pounds may be used.
For all deer of any species - the bullet must weigh at least 100 grains AND have a minimum muzzle velocity of 2,450 feet per second AND a minimum muzzle energy of 1,750 foot pounds.

ie. you're fine..

Factory figures are normally quoted for a 24” barrel what lenght is your barrel? Manufactures of all makes of ammo' can be somewhat optimistic with their velocity figures.;)
To be really sure you need to chron’y your rifle if you are concerned about it legality, maybe the RFD had already done so hence his comments?

ATB

Tahr

The 155gr Lapua mega is listed with 2560fps using a 29" barrel.......good luck with a 20" barrel.
edi

One other point is Sako 156gn bullet will be designed for use on Elk, so it will be a tough bullet, not sure they would expand as well as a 120/130gn bullet on smaller deer.

Of cause you could "just shot them", but perhaps it would be wise to have a good trained dog on hand.;)

ATB

Tahr

if its shot fair and square in the engine room, its going down no matter what !!! small exit hole-big exit hole follow the red stuff you will find what you shot:) happy days enjoy your 6.5x55 its a good calibre

if its shot fair and square in the engine room, its going down no matter what !!! small exit hole-big exit hole follow the red stuff you will find what you shot:) happy days enjoy your 6.5x55 its a good calibre
Like Tahr said, those tough 6.5 heavy bullets often just pencil through small deer. Does little damage and does not kill as quick as it should. You'd often be better off with a 223. In my opinion wrong bullet choice which has given the 6.5 a bad reputation.
My shooting partner had a 6.5 with 156 lapuas, deer just ran away and just about every shot ended in searching. Sick of it.
edi

I've written about three replies on this and none have appeared. Lets try again.

I had the chance to test them through a chrono on saturday and forgot all about it. Doh!

I've shot two small roe with these before, and they dropped on the spot. Nice wound channel, no 'pencilling'. Thanks for replies. On paper they are legal which is good enough for me. I'm in Scotland on the reds anyway so prefer the heavier bullet.

Gully

You should be fine. When I handload 6.5x55 ammo I have noticed that the MV drops by around 100fps when fired through a 20inch barrel. If the advertised MV is 2625fps you should still be getting over 2450fps with a shorter barrel. If they keep killing well , keep using them.

Back